What is veganism? (your opinion)

I guess it’s a transition and if people try, that’s what matters. Even I keep trying and do something new to change, as what I do isn’t perfect either (I still use the electrical grid for this computer, which might be detrimental to animals). I never had issues finding faux leather, but I do live in an area of abundance, but even more:

To piggyback off of what you say about faux leather, and expanded to faux any products (like meat), they kind of are not vegan: 1) they support the meat industry (as they invest in faux meat), 2) they keep us in a system of wanting and supporting animal products, due to displaying them (even if fake). I believe I read an article about how Paul McCartney decided to not even use fake meat at concerts due to it looking too real, but in the meantime - he shuns fake or real animal prints and leather alike.

So I’ve learned from that and even though I have a few faux leather items, I’m not buying any more after learning about Paul McCartney’s views on it! I’m not saying you have to, it’s just to show perspective.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand this. MooShoes.com have been around forever. Dress shoes. Boots. Anything you need.

Doc Martens Vegan shoes are affordable and wide-ranging.

Nike makes Vegan shoes:

Vegan Kicks is another good information portal:

https://www.vegankicks.com/

I bought a $250 pair of Italian Vegan shoes that lasted me over a decade and were only discarded after they were damaged in a flood.

EDITED TO ADD:

Birkenstock have great Vegan options as far back as 1999:

Here’s an article I wrote about Moo Shoes in 2012:

1 Like

Why were the last two posts deleted?

I felt like I talked too much, that’s why! I don’t want to take up all of it. If other people message more, so will I.

1 Like

I had the same thought.

After a while I realized I didn’t really have much else to say

I have a lot to say, but if everyone’s ok with me writing something big to look at, I’ll do it. I just don’t want to be a thread hog is all lol.

1 Like

Ok anewperson, I’ll give you the opportunity to talk more then :wink:

Food from pure air is still a very far away hypothetical concept it seems. I’ve looked at solarfoods and I didn’t found any method described. And regarding the CO2 + electricity protein concept it does use microorganisms, which makes sense. Even if you can harvest the basic atom elements C, H, O, and N from the air, how do you assemble them? How do you fold the protein without chaperons? I totally agree that we have all the basic atoms available in an inorganic form. Otherwise, how would have life started in the first place. Where I’m more skeptical is in our ability today to assemble them to make proper amino acids and proteins without the use of a living organism. Still, it’s a very exciting result! I think we can all agree by saying that maybe in the future we’ll find a way!

Side note. The concept of producing food out of thin air by harvesting the universal energy was already imagined by Rene Barjel in his roman The Ice People. What he calls the “eating-machine” is described as a half-sphere that produces pills designed to fulfill the nutrient needs of the user without producing any wastes. The machine is based on the Zoran equation (made up) that allows plucking limitless energy and materials out of thin air. The Ice People is one of my favorite books :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t read his specific views on fake meats or fake leather. But, IMO, these products may actually do more good than harm. Sometimes they can provide a “bridge” for people who would otherwise be hesitant to jump from an omnivore diet to a whole food plant based diet. And if a fake meat patty contains only plant-based ingredients, it has certainly resulted in less harm to sentient beings and perhaps less strain on the environement. Besides, there may come a day when easy cloning animal tissue (minus the central nervous system) may be possible, which will open up a wole host of ethical issues. Yes, it will technically be an animal product, but no actual harm will come to the “animal” tissue itself. (This is of course, ignoring the health harm to humans).

I just cannot see the inherent harm in using something that imitates an animal product but doesn’t actually use an animal product. Unless there is some counter argument about how this is a gateway to easily transition to using real animal products, kinda like how artificial sweeteners might give a person a “sweet tooth” making them more likely to also consume real sugar-sweetened beverages.

3 Likes

Really good thread here. I love reading the different perspectives.

3 Likes

Thought provoker: There are mites that live on your face (they eat the oil produced by the skin glands), does that make washing your face non-vegan? Is it, in fact, (microscopic) animal abuse?

2 Likes

ive looked into this too…

at the end of the day its your intentions and best efforts… that make you healthier in all ways.

the planet is clearly taking care of itself.

It’s so true! These are questions I ask, which maybe it’s not - maybe it’s better to just brush them off instead of washing - I wash my face once a year, but brush it frequently. Because you said this, I’m going to be more careful. Thanks!

Maybe it does. What do you think?

I think you’re confusing issues. There’s a difference between “bridging” people to vegan alternatives, because they’re trying to make a switch and actively promoting something, but hey - it is 50/50, because maybe wearing fake animal products helps you be more approachable in asking where it came from. However, that’s not true. Anytime I wore an animal alternative, people couldn’t tell the difference - so how could they approach me and ask if they didn’t know about it?

Just because you cannot see something, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Many people say they feel healthy only to turn out that’s not true.

Actually - you do have a point there - it quite possibly can be. When I tried root beer flavored gum to not eat root beer floats, the taste just kept making me want the real thing. So the more likely one’s surrounded by something, quite possibly the more and easily someone will go after it.

Cool! My bad, the Solar Foods, like most startups, tries not to give away too much info that scares people away. However, this presentation explains the process.

Hey, you bring up things to think about! The more we talk and think, the closer we may get to an answer. I have heard about synthesizers of chemicals using computers and machines. Protein folding really used to be difficult, due to the simulations involved, but that’s getting much easier with better technology. You’re right - if organic chemicals started from basic elements, then it is possible.

I mean chaperones are just proteins too, so that would be vegan, right? Unless you’re saying where that comes from. I mean, don’t we use our own bodies to make proteins, including chaperones? Unless I’m missing something?

Wow - it does sound like a great book. I’ll keep it in mind!

1 Like