V 3.0 is Terrible

Sunflower and MCT oil are still both at the lowest inclusion of the main ingredients. The ingredients that follow it are in much smaller amounts: gums, flavoring and vitamins and minerals.

Fat also still provides 30% of calories like it did in v2.3 so no change here, don’t worry!

The amount of kelp is really small and has no effect on taste. What’s your issue with the other two ingredients? Maybe I can put your mind at ease.

I’m really sorry to hear this. When we were doing development we got a much smoother texture with better flavor delivery. It’s why tapioca starch was included.

Most Hueligans agree with what I have said but we do have others with clumping issues. It is something we are looking into to see why people might be having this disparity.

1 Like

Appreciate the conspiracy theory, but the reality is that when customers are satisfied, they tend to simply buy and remain quiet. When things go wrong, people tend to speak up…as is the case with 3.0. Also, when people contribute to this thread, everyone receives an email notice…so activity generates activity. My experience with 3.0 has been lousy…I’ve given bags away and have receive a bad response just the same.

4 Likes

Been buying it since August 2017…just after it was announced, so about as long as it’s been available in the US. Here’s the troubleshooting. Ask customer service what’s wrong with my product and get a very weak “we don’t have any plans to change it” — never mind the $ spent on a bad product. Just a thanks for your business, sorry you don’t like it, and here’s a link to buy the old stuff with no insight as to expiration. Just a bad experience which = cancelled subscription

2 Likes

Ok…so is this a QC issue? Is every bag of 3.0 I’ve received incorrect? It certainly can’t be mixed in the mixer provided…so far only a big blender will knock it down to a smooth texture. Not exactly convenient.

I think the problem might be this: one might expect a long time happy Huel drinker to come to the forum to address other users with the attitude, “here is my issue, Huel has been great, I don’t want to quit, how can I make this work?”

Instead, for so many of the negative posts, the immediate attitude is anger, fury even. The product has been ruined, it’s revolting, Huel has betrayed us, I can’t even give away my bags, and I’ve cancelled my subscription.

At the same time, other long time users notice very little difference at all.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Since Huel somehow are behind on QC checking each production batch and realizing these problems themselves—despite a forum and Reddit going on for some time about it all—how would the community here recommend overcoming these issues? This may be a very out-there opinion but a lack of QC to the point of not realizing that the product isn’t integrating well with fluid (basically the whole point of the product) doesn’t necessarily inspire great confidence that other aspects of the product are on point. As much as people love to pretend this is some sort of technology—the truth is that it’s food, and nutrition, and people are depending on it as a matter of their health. More than anything, I’d love a bag of this mythical 3.0 that isn’t riddled with clumps no matter how hard one tries to mix it. As of now, all I’ve heard from CS is “sorry you aren’t pleased…you can buy aging food from an old production run in our outlet”. Really.

I can’t imagine how the clumping issue wasn’t noticed. But I also can’t imagine that it won’t be fixed in an upcoming 3.1 version. If they lose enough customers, they’ll change it. What else could they do?

In the last couple of weeks since the clumping issue has come up, the simplest successful method was to add some water, add Huel, add some more water, apply the screen/grate and shake the thing upside down. Some people add crushed ice and/or a blender ball to the bottle as well. I guess the idea is create as much friction as possible.

I use a personal blender made by Oster. It blends the shake directly into a sports bottle, and the clean-up is no more than using the Huel shaker, which I do use when I’m traveling.

Many people use an immersion blender. It’s an extremely simple solution. Prepare the mix in Huel’s shaker, whisk it up with the immersion blender, rinse it, and you are on your way. There are even cordless immersion blenders if you need to blend on the road, but they’re pretty expensive.

Should you HAVE to do these things? No. Huel is marketed as a convenience meal, all you need is Huel, water, and the shaker. But, in my opinion, you aren’t going to find anything with the nutritional profile of Huel for anywhere close to the price, so it’s worth fussing a bit. At least temporarily, until they figure it out.

By the way, Huel Black is delicious and has no clumping issues. But you may not be inclined toward the higher protein and/or lack of oats.

3 Likes

I one hundred percent agree the product has been ruined by this change. I’m really bummed about it because I eat it every day up until I opened up the bag last night of the new 3.0 stuff. Will try to send it back if I can. Had to cancel my subscription to.

1 Like

3.0 tastes like sh… I really don’t think you can argue otherwise Deron. I’ve been eating four scoops of the vanilla for almost a couple years now every day and love the stuff. Not anymore!! plain and simple. They need to cut there losses— hit the reset button and go back to the version 1 series stuff. It doesn’t even taste like vanilla anymore!

I’ve always valued your advice Deron… I think you are way off on this one. Just being honest. 3.0 sucks I am going to have to find another nutritional source unless they switch it back.

1 Like

I get it, however I don’t have the time or the ability to wake my family at 5am with a grinding blender to overcome this product issue—same goes for at the office. Ultimately, the whole idea of treating this like technology is quite silly—coming from someone who has worked in both tech and packaged foods…this isn’t an update that can be pushed out to a device the next day. 3.1 doesn’t mean a whole lot, as they’re probably sitting on quite a bit of 3.0 stock, of which I assume a good amount has clumping issues—and has to be moved before they can invest in whatever 3.1 might mean. The reality of the situation is that the product has been great up through 1.1, and now the product isn’t great for many existing customers.

1 Like

I never had any of the previous versions personally. I started on 3.0. While I did notice slight clumping at first when using the shaker, it wasn’t the worst powder I’ve used. Additonally, when I blend it OR leave it to settle after shaking the clumping lessens severely or is removed entirely. The flavor, though I cannot compare to previous versions myself, is quite good in my opinion. The chocolate is a little rich for my taste so I mix one scoop of vanilla and one of chocolate. I haven’t tried the berry flavor yet but I have the bag here, and the vanilla is great. Maybe I’m missing out from previous versions but as an unbiased opinion due to never trying a different version, I can say the flavor isn’t “HORRIBLE” as I keep seeing. Of course, as always, this is all our opinions and you are entitled to yours. I just believe that calling it horrible is a bit much personally.

3 Likes

THIS THREAD HAD ME A BIT SCARED OVER NOTHING! Just received my first shipment and what a bunch of hot air over nothing. Seriously, Cold water, ice, 2 scoops, shake shake shake… Smooth, no clumps, little grit. Chocolate was mild, but the texture smooth and rich. The way people on here are making it sound?Well, it sounds like people complaining anywhere on the internet. Maybe it’s my years in the food industry or as a professional brewer and I’m just really good a mixing things. Or… maybe there is no real issue and people will complain about anything they can. This was a breeze, completely palatable. No issues, I will be increasing my subscription and Branching out to give the Black a try. I left this comment for other new comers like myself. Don’t let the keyboard complainers deter you.

2 Likes

I’ve been subscribed to Huel for the past year and just cancelled. I ended up with the bubble guts and bloating. It’s the only lactose free protein I enjoyed :frowning:

This is incredibly condescending. I don’t need anyone to “troubleshoot my issues” as if it’s a computer glitch. It’s food, I know how to eat it. It was good and they ruined it.

1 Like

Lol… it wasn’t directed towards you specifically but if you’re taking it as if it was then so be it.

My point was that there’s plenty of people here making the new version work for them that have had great success at mixing and blending it in different ways.

If you feel like it’s no longer for you then you have the ability to exercise your buying power by spending your $ elsewhere.

Don’t mean to offend you, I just don’t have any other way to convey my opinion. I hate sugar coating my thoughts…

And you just joined the forums 3 days ago. I don’t think 3 days equates to a concerted effort to seek tips and pointers from others that might have been in the same boat as you in the past.

Guys to prevent clumping all you have to do is hold the Huel bag upside down and feel the powder fall to the front, then then it right side up and feel the powder fall back down to the bottom, then open and scoop.

2 Likes

Savage. See, guys, it really is that simple. Don’t know what all these noobs are complaining about. Didn’t their moms teach them this?

I agree with you AXLRosey 100%. Deron and the regular posters can say whatever they want as they certainly have a right to their opinion. This product is a big problem however with mine. I’m trying to drink my usual Huel amount today and struggling with the bad/different taste of the new version 3.0. I posted a few things on this already and I just don’t like it at all! It seems like that fermented tea probably ruined the flavor—I don’t know that much about the actual changes made, but it’s no longer a good product. I’ve been a faithful Hueler for approximately 2 years. This does not work for me anymore, and I am honestly bummed out about it. Not sure what I’m going to do. Probably gonna have to go back to regular food all the time. I am not going to comment on this subject again. Over and out.

3 Likes