Understanding the RDA percentage differently

I’m used to seeing mcg or mg on labels when selecting supplements. Can someone tell me how to convert the vitamin percentage on the Huel label from RDA percentage to mcg or mg? In other words, for example the Huel package reads Vitamin C 80%…how does that break down in mg or mcg’s ? Thank you :slight_smile:

Check out this link, It should help you. It lists the percentage and weight of each

1 Like

Thank you very much!

You can either just look up on the Internet, ask Siri, or ask your echo device, what is the requirement for vitamin C for example. My echo device says that it is 60 mg, so you would just say 60×80%. You can see the percentage per day, and the percentage per serving. If you want the amount per day, then multiply the 60 mg by that percentage. If you want the amount per serving, then multiply the 60 mg by that percentage. These requirements were set for someone eating a 2000 cal diet, so if you need more or less calories, then your personal requirement for each nutrient will be more or less. However, you would then be consuming more or less calories with Huel and still need your nutrient requirements if that makes sense. These requirements are recommended amounts as in like, you need at least this much every day at the bare minimum, and Huel Will give you 100% of all of the requirements if you eat 2000 cal of it, but it could go beyond 100%. However, that is fine because it makes sure that where upper limits have been set that you won’t go above those. However, if you are eating 4000 cal a day for example, you may go above the upper limit that has been set, but the more calories you eat, the higher your personal upper limit goes because the more energy you are actually using if that makes sense. If you only eat 1200 cal a day, then you might not get to 100% for some of the requirements, but because you require less energy, your personal requirements are actually lower. However, don’t use this to go on an ultra low calorie diet because your requirements are based on the energy that you actually need, and if you are putting yourself in a huge energy deficit, then you actually aren’t getting the nutrient requirements that you need. For example, if you need a certain amount of calories per day to maintain your weight, but you are going into a huge deficit below that like over 1000 cal in deficit, then you could run into trouble overtime because your nutrient requirements are still the same based on your current weight, but you are actually getting fewer nutrients then you need to meet your requirement because you were having fewer calories. If you are just in a minor deficit to lose weight, then that is fine because your body can get the extra nutrients it needs from your fat, and we mostly get water-soluble vitamins in big enough amounts. Plus, once you lose weight, you will need fewer calories to maintain your new weight, so your actual nutrient requirements will decrease. However, if you want to go on an all true low calorie diet, then you should make sure a doctor is monitoring that because you have to actually take additional supplements to make sure that you are getting all of your nutrient requirements on the lower calorie diet. But as long is you are being reasonable with it, then Huel Will meet all of your requirements. Just don’t be stupid and be like, I’m going to try to live on 400 cal a day, or, I want to gain 20 pounds, so I’m just going to start eating 4000 cal a day now. The only reason you would need more than the standard 2000 cal long-term is if you are a very large person, you are very overweight and you want to slowly taper down to a lower level, or if you exercise a lot like doing very strenuous activity like if you swim for several hours a day to train for competitions or something. However, that isn’t most of us. Even if you exercise for like two hours a day, really, you don’t need that many more calories.