Oxalate Content

Desert decided to take it upon themselves to trash a response i had left for another user, so they are getting crapped on wherever and whenever i find it medicinal.

as to any and all pertinent information left by any user, ask questions if ya just don’t know

but…you didn’t say that in the thread now, did you?! no. you just thought it’d be cool to say that my post was totally irrelevant and not correct the misstatement.

yup. check your words. sometimes they have meaning…

In that thread, the guy kept asking us for his tracking number, so I wrote “By the way, the people who have answered you so far are not Huel representatives. Hopefully one will be along soon.” I had no intention of crapping on the help you were giving. I was trying to help him too.

But I shouldn’t be going this far off topic here. Sorry OP, I hope Huel works out for you.

2 Likes

So @nachosalad78, because you misread the intent of a response of hers you are going to continue to make immature comments like the last one and ruin someone else’s post? Might be time for you to let it go and get over it.

2 Likes

@Gerrly do you suffer from Gastroparesis also?

No, I don’t. Just IBS.

nope. absolutely no reason to even try to defend myself against an accusation against how someone assumes that my words are being conveyed.

that’s elementary school mentality. i was simply joking with whoever Desert is for trying to call me out in an irrelevant post. but you weren’t there.

GOI

@shaunfather I tried 1 scoop in 12 ounces of water for breakfast this morning. I have to water down my shakes in order to drink them. I was nauseous getting it down and took a while to drink it all. Amazingly enough it stayed down! Tomorrow I will try to back off on the water a bit, but will still take a couple hours to drink it all.

3 Likes

@Deron received a notice that my post was flagged as inappropriate. Please tell me what was inappropriate about this post so I can avoid this in the future.

I have no idea @TracyB . I never flagged your post as inappropriate. You and I were talking about oxalate and kidney stones. Your posts all seem pertinent. Your guess is as good as mine. Apparently my post above was flagged as inappropriate. So we’re both left guessing.

I’m being forced to delete my post above. Sure, I’ll delete it. Let me get a screen grab first. I’m still blocking that person who was being inappropriate in several threads. Obviously, it’s not you since I can see your posts.

And for the record, anyone reading the bottom of this thread: the most important part of this whole thread is that Huel contains negligible oxalate content. So yay for calcium oxalate kidney stone patients.

3 Likes

Just to make it clear when something is flagged I can review it and put it back on site. If you delete your post there is not much I can do.

Sorry Tracy I haven’t seen your post, no idea what happened there.

Hope you are well.

As a fellow stone sufferer, I was wondering if you’re still a Huel user, and if so, how that’s been going for you?

Just finished my daily Huel 30 min ago. I drink it almost every day at work and have been since early 2018. No stones since my last one in Jan 2018. Knock on wood.

I’ve been on for over a year doing two a days… Still alive with no stones

1 Like

Is low/negligible oxalate content true for any Huel flavor? I was going to try black which has a high protein content. I’ve had calcium oxalate stones myself 3 times in the past and generally recommended low oxalate diet with low meat intake as well. I’m not sure if black is suitable for me or if I should just stick to the original favor.

I don’t think there’s any need to dig this up as it’s over a year old and is now behind everyone. Thanks for your concern though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow, good point lol. Sorry, didn’t even check the timestamps.

1 Like

“We have tried to have Huel tested for oxalates before, we have been told by labs this is not possible because Huel doesn’t contain any. So don’t worry!”

@Deron - sorry, I cannot believe that. Chocoloate or cocoa powder is quite high in oxalate, so I expect there would be a non-trivial quantity of oxalate in the chocolate-flavored huel. Some berries (raspberries in particular) are high in oxalate, but I don’t know what’s in the berry flavor.

The berry flavor 1.0 and 3.0 both contain beetroot concentrate from beets, which all sources agree are extremely high in oxalate, similar to spinach.

Huel also contains coconut, tapioca, and carrots, and those could be high in oxalate although various tests from reliable sources don’t seem to agree about those.

Also, looking at the ingredients from Huel 1.0, it contains brown rice flour, which is also high in oxalate and forbidden (along with spinach, almonds, and cranberries) by most urologists for their kidney stone patients to consume. Fortunately Huel 3.0 has eliminated that and now has rice protein.

Keep in mind that a kidney stone former needs to keep to a budget of less than 100mg of oxalate per day, for the whole day. A lot of little things add up. Just the brown rice flour in 4 servings of Huel 1.0 can blow that budget.

So if your lab is telling you that measuring oxalate isn’t possible because Huel doesn’t contain any, I say that’s bull****. Ingredients in Huel clearly contain oxalates, possibly less in 3.0. The lab is saying it isn’t possible because they don’t know how to test for it. Oxalate testing is probably nontrivial. Find a different lab.

Don’t worry, you say? After my second kidney stone operation in 4 years, yes I worry. Darn right I worry, because Huel is a significant part of my diet and has been so for 3 years.

Hi @Anachronist

I’m sorry you don’t believe @Dan_Huel 's comment: it’s what we’ve been informed by accredited labs. But what we will do, is to revisit this with them. However, please bear in mind a few things: the beetroot colour is an extract, not whole beetroot and it’s only in <0.25% so the amount of detectable oxalates in a 100g portion are undetectable. Coconut: Huel products have MCTs extracted from coconut. Tapioca: it’s the starch from whole tapioca. Carrots: same as beetroot. There’s no brown rice flour in Huel powders; only a small amount in Huel RTD.

So out of all the ingredients you’ve raised a concern about, that leaves cocoa. All I can see is that with the amount of cocoa in a portion of chocolate flavour Huel Powder (less than 6g), is that the inclusion is at a level that oxalates are undetectable.

Anyway, as I take your concern seriously, I’ll ask for the lab to revisit measuring oxalates in chocolate Huel Powder.

3 Likes

@JamesCollier - thank you for the clarification. All I can see on the ingredient label are ingredients, not proportions. The label doesn’t say “beetroot extract”, it says “beetroot concentrate”, which I take to mean has a higher concentration of oxalate than beetroot, and it doesn’t say how much is used.

Oxalate from cocoa is undetectable? You’ve got to be kidding. Do the math. From the oxalate.org website, 4 teaspoons of cocoa powder has 67 mg of oxalate. I have unsweetened cocoa powder right here. 4 teaspoons (actual calibrated teaspoons) of cocoa powder is 7 grams on my digital food scale. That means the 6 grams in a serving of Huel has 6/7 of 67 milligrams of oxalate. That’s 57.4 mg of oxalate per serving. That is easily detectable! Even one gram of cocoa powder has almost 10 mg of oxalate, which any qualified lab should be able to detect.

At 400 calories per serving, someone using Huel in a 1600 calorie diet would have 4 servings per day or 230 mg of oxalate per day, more than double the allowance for kidney stone formers!

That’s why I suggested you try a new lab. From that calculation, it’s pretty obvious that your lab is unable to measure it because they simply don’t know how.

1 Like