New Hueler - Tempered Experience

Hey Huelers!

I received my Huel this week on Wednesday. I had the pleasure of trying it for lunch. I’m a 2/3 guy, where Breakfast and lunch are being replaced with Huel. I’ll have the occasional dinner here and there.

I’ve been seeing a lot of negative posts on the site so far, so I hope my personal opinion helps temper newcomers.

Who I am
I’m a 31 year old male, 292 lbs, 5’11". I’m certainly overweight, but carry it all too well due to a background in athletics and the military. I have a family: 29 year old wife, 3 year old daughter, 1 year old son, and a 12 week puppy.

I’ve been overweight most of my life, both as a young kid and an adult. It was only through grade 10 and until I was about 23 that I was in great physical condition. I learned how to lift weights and how nutrition impacted the body, but after my tour of duty, I fell apart.

I’m otherwise quite healthy. My blood work comes in pretty good. A little high on the cholesterol due to eating out too much. My heart is in great shape, etc. I do, however, struggle with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. I use Synthroid to try and manage that, but it’s definitely not helped my metabolism.

I’m a ‘computer guy’, so I spend all of my time working while sitting at a desk reviewing issues in applications and reviewing code. The job is great from a mental perspective, but practically killing me due to its nature.

Why Huel
I’m a typical American: So busy doing the mundane. I get little physical activity, and despite gaining a fairly solid education and self learning some things to improve my workout routine back in the day, my wife and I don’t know what we’re doing when it comes to nutrition. No joke, it was only in the latter half of 2017 that my wife even learned what the difference between a carb and a calorie were. We’re both doing a lot better in this regard today, but we have a very, very long way to go.

And so Huel. We’re simply ignorant of proper nutrition, and Huel is not. It’s a no-brainer for us to learn on Huel to help us while we learn. And learn we must; we have young children.

The experience
Oh my God, the gas on the first day was potent. This has subsided for us both after day one, but it definitely caught us both off guard and got us praying that wouldn’t be a long term effect! So far so good.

The stool
I know, it’s not pleasant to discuss publically for many, but let’s be real. If you’re using Huel now or looking to try it soon, you have to wonder. Well, I’ve been tracking myself using an app. I’ve started to pick up in how often I go, hitting twice a day. That’s considered to be healthy by many. I’ve had a definite change in the type and color, as well, but so far, not too terrible. However, that initial moment on the pot can make a man wish handle bars were equipped on porcelain…

The flavor
Not bad, not great. I definitely had low expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have the vanilla bags and I find it to be a touch sweet, but still light on actual flavor. It definitely tastes like finely ground oatmeal to me, though a buddy says its like drinking bread. My wife says it’s like pancake batter.

Turns out in those cases they lacked enough water and it wasn’t cold enough. I definitely add in a LOT more that the recommended water amount. My recommendation to anyone who made it this far is to start with 400ml, add Huel, then cap off at 700-800ml, shake, then cap off again. It’s super easy to go down, doesn’t taste like paste, and doesn’t taste grainy beyond the obvious.

Cleanup
I’ve been getting headaches the past few days, but they’re minor. I’m pretty sure it’s the result of not enough water. Since regular food would contain about 20% of my water, and I drink a decent amount anyway, I believe I’m lacking water.

I’m fixing this by refilling my Huel shaker with water after my meal, and instead of tossing that out, I just drink it. That’s helping for sure, though I still need more than that!

In short, cleanup is super easy. Just refill your shaker with water after a meal and down it right after.

Shipping
Oh boy… well, I can’t invalidate concerns for you guys that have seen or posted on the shipping experience. It’s not great, but it’s not a surprise. Huel is obviously growing as a super fast rate, and any new company struggles to keep up with this. Personally, I cut these guys some slack because I understand that it’s difficult for a company to not over commit.

My first order was missing my shirt, handbook, and 2 flavor packets. I actually received the wrong flavor packets. Sothan in support is trying to take care of me, though.

Going forward
Guys, I love this stuff. I get that it’s not for everyone, and I wish it were. I feel incredible after just 3 days of use. My mental health has improved, my energy levels are both much higher and consistent, and I just generally feel great. I can go to bed still feeling like I have some gas in the tank, and waking up isn’t the death rattle it used to be.

That’s got to be the best thing. I hated waking up in the morning. I felt like someone had kicked me in the head or abused my body all night. Since my experience has been so positive, I had to share here, but not just here… I’m sharing it with co-workers, family, friends; basically anyone that has a set of ears to hear.

I’ll also throw it out there that I do plan to use this to help me lose weight. By managing my caloric intake, I’m already doing just that. I’m also getting back into lifting, so I’ll be coupling this with some Young Living protein powder. I’m extremely optimistic.

I hope that for anyone who bothered to read this far does give Huel a try. It’s not going to be a perfect experience for everyone, and it certainly wasn’t for me, but I’m still excited to be on this train. I hope you join it. Give it a real try, and be a part of the community.

Thanks!

9 Likes

This is a great post. I’m already convinced but it’s still a good reminder that good nutrition makes us better people. That Huel is also vegan and sustainably so only makes it better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with a lot of the above post. I got my first shipment about two weeks ago and like the person above, my goal is also to use it to manage caloric intake, and I have attempted the 2/3 of my daily meals also (Huel only for breakfast, Huel only for lunch, and a balanced, sensible sized dinner). I too have to add more than 500 ml of water to 3 scoopfuls or else the thickness of it is a turn-off for me. If I add half-again as much water I think it’s more palatable. Also, I get a much better result if I use a blender to mix it and not the bottle to shake it–the blender on high for a minute or two eliminates any possible lumps of powder. I mix a whole blender-ful at night (enough for two bottles-worth…) and store it in the blender glass in the fridge. Come morning, I remix it for a few seconds, and drink one bottle full of it as breakfast. Refill the bottle with more, which I take to work (there’s a fridge there) and break out to have at lunchtime. I tried adding a teaspoon of ground cinnamon per blender-ful and loved the result. Another option might be to add a banana or frozen berries when mixing it at night. Experiment! (just know that it’ll increase the calorie count per bottle of course).
I did not experience the gas issue described, although I will say there was some diarrhea the first couple of days (nothing catastrophic, thankfully. Wow, can’t believe I’m talking about diarrhea in a public posting, phew!) It went away after 2 or maybe 3 days at most. No ongoing issues.
Yes! I do feel much less sluggish now that I’m replacing 2 of 3 meals with Huel. I should say too I’m back to an exercise program at the gym, mainly 35 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights–starting back with low or moderate levels and weights, however. That surely helps boost energy as well, so how much credit to give exercise and how much to Huel is anybody’s guess. I’ve lost 4 lbs in two weeks, so I’m pleased by that.
I admit I still miss the physical act of CHEWING at breakfast and lunch time. Per a friend’s suggestion, I took up chewing sugarless gum (I’m not a gum chewer by habit) and it’s somewhat helpful I guess. I think as time goes on I’ll obsess less over the lack of chewing issue since I believe it’ll just take a bit more time to get used to that part.
Best wishes to anyone in your Huel adventures. For me, it’s an adjustment, but I’m in this for the long haul.