Just ordered a couple of days ago! I'm excited!

Tracking says it will be delivered Tuesday. It got my hopes up by saying it would initially be delivered today, but oh well.

I have such high hopes for Huel. I hate cooking and I’m not a foodie. I eat solely to not be hungry unless I have a specific craving (which is usually for junk). I usually only eat one (unhealthy) meal a day and go for walmart brand nutrition shakes whenever I get hungry to the point of being nauseous at any other point in the day. I’m literally that lazy that I would go hungry instead of making a meal for myself and the foods that I do eat are TERRIBLE for me. Ramen (lot of ramen), hot dogs, fast food, $.25 boxes of macaroni and cheese, frozen meals, etc…I have virtually no healthy calorie intake and I don’t take vitamins either. I hate vegetables so those are non-existent in my diet as well. My hope for huel is not only for weight loss, but truly just giving me the healthy nutrition that I need and have been sorely lacking for so many years.

Everyone says that in order to lose weight you need to eat regularly and that’s always been a problem for me. Food is a lot of work. There are so many other things I’d rather be doing than cooking and cleaning. I feel like the balanced nutrition in huel and the fact that it’s so quick and easy to make will go a long way to helping me be healthier in general. Since I usually only eat one meal a day anyway I don’t have any real goals for how many meals I’m replacing, but rather a goal of just eating regularly throughout the day. I’m not a big fan of deprivation, but I do want to try to have only huel for the most part with occasional meals out with my dad and some healthy snacks. I am a meat eater, but I have a lot of guilt about it, so the fact that it’s vegan is a big plus for me as well. It’d be great to be guilt free with my diet. The fact that I hate vegetables has been a big deterrent to becoming a vegetarian or vegan before huel was an option.

I should probably lose about 100 lbs, but I’m not going to get my hopes up too high. I’ll just settle for a healthy diet in general to start with. Maybe once I have a good, regular, healthy diet I’ll actually have the energy I need to change other parts of my daily routine and eventually reach my goal.

Fingers crossed!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Huel community! I’m pretty new at it, too. I started about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have gotten to the point where I actually look forward to my Huel meals.

When I started, I wanted to Huel just in the mornings. I usually work-out early in the morning (OTF), and I wasn’t eating anything after it. I started liking Huel so much (and it’s so easy) that I started taking it to work for lunch. I really love it!

I have the U/U Huel, and I like that because I can put any flavor in it. My husband likes it with fruit - bananas, strawberries, mangos. I tried that at first, and I did not like it. So don’t be discouraged if you don’t like the first couple of shakes you make. Keep trying until you find a flavor you like. For me, it’s chocolate. I put a heaping teaspoon of chocolate powder (Godiva and Ghirardelli are my faves) with 2 scoops of Huel and about 16 oz of ice cold water. It’s super-filling, and it’s tasty enough that I look forward to the next one!

I hope you’ll keep us up-to-date on your journey.

Good luck!

1 Like

Well, not necessarily. It’s funny because I was watching some videos recently on the topic of “Intermittent Fasting”. It seems that going long periods of time in between meals, so long as your meals are relatively healthy, is a very effective way to lose body fat. The idea is that as you fast, your insulin levels fall, which allows fat to more freely come out of adipose tissue and be burned for energy. When insulin levels are above a certain threshold, the body is in carbohydrate-burning-and-fat-storage mode. After so many hours since eating a meal, insulin levels should fall below this threashold and go into fat-release-fat-burning mode. The exception would be if the meal eaten was very high in total carbohydrates and/or rapidy digesting carbohydrates, which would cause the Pancreas to release a large amount of insulin or have the insulin stick around for a long time to accommodate this big load of carbohydrates. So, yes, even eating just one meal a day rich in carbohydrates (especially lots of wheat flour), could still cause a person to gain body fat (or not allow you to lose fat). Intermittent Fasting doesn’t work if the meals themselves are high glycemic index. But none the less, when Intermittent Fasting is done correctly it can lower insulin levels and promote body fat loss.

It’s also the same reason that Atkins, South Beach, or low glycemic index “diets” work. Less carbs or slower digesting carbs require less insulin from the Pancreas, lowering your overall insulin levels.

It’s also the same reason that exercise works. Exercise improves insulin sensitivity, even during the periods of rest in between. Your overall insulin requirements throughout the day get less and less as you continue your exercise program, and your body then releases more fat to burn.

Many of us who start using Huel immediately notice that we don’t have to eat again as soon when we eat a dose of Huel verses our regular meals that we were eating before. I myself have been doing exercise and 2 doses of Huel per day and I’ve lost 12 pounds over the past few months with relative ease. I don’t feel hungry. I don’t feel like I’m starving myself or depriving myself. And I can go longer before I have to eat again. Huel is not a miracle diet cure. It’s a tool that seems to make weight loss easier.

Oh, and just for reference, Huel has a Glycemic Index of 28 (I think). It has that info on the site. But that’s the basic reason why Huel helps so much of us to lose body fat. 28 is a pretty modest GI.