Huel Muffins with Fruit

3 Likes

You are such a chef, Sabra!

1 Like

Thank U. Do you know how Bacon or microwaving it affects the nutrition no?

Hmm not so sure about microwaving as we haven’t specifically tested that. Huel is okay to bake with - the tricky one is adding boiling water to Huel.

I wish you could test it. In tests that have been done on fruits and vegetables, microwaving actually preserves the most nutrients. There are very very few nutrients that break down when microwaving, but these nutrients are considered nonessential, and even most of the nine essential nutrients are preserved by microwaving based on my research. From what I researched, microwaving fruits and vegetables does not even Cozz the vitamin C losses that can normally occur. It might be important to know this information because people who want to use this as a convenience product might want to microwave it. I personally believe that microwaving would be better than all of the other methods that can be used for cooking based on what I have read about other foods, but you would have to test it to know for sure. I have also read that there are no nutrient losses when microwaving oatmeal, and Huel is oat based. Also, when you microwave it, you actually are applying a lot of heat to it and you are not boiling it. I would also be curious to know if you boil it with the lid on so that the water can’t evaporate out, how much does that affect it? I am most curious about microwaving though. I want the granola and the berry flavor to come. I don’t mind the vanilla, but I like fruit better. I have tried adding fruit to it, and that makes it more creamy, but it doesn’t really taste like fruit. I have actually been losing weight though. Before, I cut back my calories a lot, but I was not losing weight. I even added 20% to each calorie number that I came up with for the food to account for the fact that I might have overestimated. It did not work. I just feel very hungry. Only online Huel have I actually been losing weight. I do wish that you could come out with Ella more savory flavor though like dill or lentil or something. I have been adding chicken broth to mine, but it would be a lot easier if the flavor could just already be there.

Good points, Sabra! It would be very interesting to know this information about microwaving Huel, especially based on the tidbits you mentioned. That sounds like a job for @JamesCollier and @Rebecca_Huel!

Hey @Sabra_Ewing - Whenever you cook food, there will be some loss of nutrients. However, microwaving will have a minimal impact as the time of cooking will be low. Also, as microwaves are enclosed, there will be smaller losses of labile micronutrients via steam, but even better is to keep what you’re microwaving covered.

2 Likes

So if I make oatmeal out of it, I would preserve more nutrients by keeping it covered? Would it need to be completely covered, or just loosely covered with a towel? Thursday covering need to be airtight, or is the amount I would be saving not even worth it? Need to think of the cost of disposable things like cellophane wrap to cover the item, and how many nutrients you are saving.

Sabra Ewing

Here is the new text for my recipe using the new scoops that Huel is going to switch to.

Huel Muffins with Fruit

Ingredients:
• 2 cups (5 scoops) vanilla Huel
• 1 egg or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1 three-inch cinnamon stick (1 tsp ground cinnamon)
• 1 cup fresh fruit or 1/2 cup dried fruit (optional)
• 2-1/2 cups water
• 2 teaspoons vinegar (cider or white)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt

Procedure:
add cinnamon stick to water. Boil with stove or microwave. Add dried fruit if using. Set aside and let steep for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Mix together Huel, Salt, baking soda and egg/apple sauce in medium bowl. Slowly add steeped liquid until batter forms. Discard any remaining liquid or add water as necessary. Mix vinegar into batter. Incorporate fruit. Spoon into lightly oiled muffin tin, filling wells completely. Bake for 15 minutes or until top springs back when pressed. Allow to cool completely in oven before removing. Each Batch has 1200 cal if using egg or 1068 cal if using applesauce. Add the calories for the entire amount of your chosen fruit to the correct base number above, and divide the total by the number of muffins to get the calories of each muffin. The number of muffins will depend on the size of your muffin tin, but you should get about eight large muffins and 12 medium muffins.

Really? Yours only need 15 min. I must be doing something wrong or overcooking mine. When I’ve baked with Huel I had to do it for a long time. Like an hour at 350 degrees. For me, Huel has always baked slowly.

Yes, mine only need 15 minutes. I put them on the top rack of the oven. Also, I let them cool in the oven and that makes them cook a little bit more.

Sabra Ewing

Are you sure the color is not throwing you off? Or maybe you add too much water. But with mine, I press the top of it until it’s springs back and then it is done. It may seem like you are not adding enough water at first, but you have to mix it until the water incorporates. My oat cakes baked quickly as well. I see some recipes here but say to bake for an hour and I don’t understand it. I think the people must’ve added too much water.

Sabra Ewing