Huel Complete Protein two thirds full

I’ve switch from whey protein to Huel. After understand that whey protein was a byproduct that was waste, glad I did move away from it.

My question and one thing I was hoping Huel while not only being beneficial to the consumer, would also take into considering of the waste the containers make.

My observations has been that each contain is usually little over half to two thirds full. Seems like a lot of waste to me. I used to buy in ten pounds bags at a time.

My next issue isn’t really Huels fault but our recycling policy in Oregon doesn’t like to recycle the number two containers. So, 1.66 lb container compared to the ten pound bag I used to buy, that’s six containers going to land fills as our state does not recycle these containers.

Could Huel move to larger quantities and hopefully work on a better environmental packaging in the future that would benefit the consumer, Huel and of course, the environment?

1 Like

Thanks for the message about this, I’ll be sure to pass it on. One thing to note is the the protein tubs are full when they are filled at the factory. However because the powder is not very dense at all it really compacts during transit. When we fill the tubs they are as full as we can make them but the powder settles down. I agree that it’s an area well worth looking into though.

It’s strange your recycling service doesn’t collect the Complete Protein tubs. One of the reasons we went with a tub not a pouch was for recyclability purposes.

Makes a little more sense that this is part of the manufacturing process.

I’ve lived in a couple county’s in Oregon and it’s the same policy. Here in the capital of Oregon, we have a policy with the only garbage service in this county that states to throw tubs away. Before Covid, you could collect tubs, clean them (the glue on the lips of where the seals attach is very difficult to remove), then find a location, a very specific time, separate the tubs/containers by number and leave them with the volunteers for this collection event. A lot of work for someone and a lot of containers as these events did not happen very often, for someone who wants to do something other than throw these into land fills for future generations to deal with. Pretty sad for a green state like Oregon.

That is such a shame. Do you know why they can’t process tubs? Is there a link you could share for your local county recycling guidance?

No clue why they won’t. They sent out a flyer with everything to throw away and tubes were part of it. Jugs they will recycling over 12oz. Here is a link to the recycle for Loren’s sanitation:

Here is the lane county that specifically says no jugs:

I see something on this flyer blaming it on the global recycle market crisis.

Now here’s a third one that says jugs are recyclable (but I’m not in this area):

https://www.eugene-or.gov/DocumentCenter/View/66057/RecyclingItemsFlyer_5-09-2022

So you can see my confusion. Multiple places, same state but all over the place on recycling…

I sent an email to our local facility to clarify the “tub” policy. (confirmed from our local garbage facility, tub’s go into the garbage. So much for doing our part for the environment)

“They are not. They would just go in the garbage.
Thank you,
Loren’s Sanitation
North Marion Recycling & Disposal
Wheat, LLC”