Huel and Microbiome

I’m interested in starting a conversation about Huel and how it contributes to creating a healthy microbiome.
What is in Huel that will help feed the beneficial organisms which are in my gut?
What else does Huel do to promote a healthy gut?

I’ve been watching a series of videos about microbiome and how it’s probably the most important part of our health. https://www.interconnectedseries.com/episode1wrb
Scientist are finding links between the microbiome and all types of diseases. Neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and all types of Dementia. Depression, bipolar disorder, mood disorders, autism. Heart issues, skin issues… etc… etc… etc…
You name it… it can probably be cured and/or avoided with a healthy microbiome.
The science is still new but the link is there. Not saying it will cure all… just needs to be taken seriously.

How does Huel help our gut?

2 Likes

Hey @Skydiver.

There’s a mixture of soluble and insoluble fibers in Huel from the oats and the flaxseeds, (including some natural prebiotics), to keep the gut flora happy.

There have been a couple of threads about this on the forum that you might be interested in that discuss this. Feel free to check some out here!

4 Likes

In addition to the pro biotics, Huel replaces meals that would otherwise be bad for your gut.

The volatility and variability of microbiome makes anecdotal evidence difficult to isolate. I wonder if any 100% Huel users have paid enough attention to this aspect of their internals to speak to it.

2 Likes

The bacteria are not kept alive because there aren’t bacteria. There is just fiber to help the bacteria that you already have. We really don’t know what strains do what, and there are so many different types of bacteria found in the gut, that adding it would not really help. Would just make the product more expensive without any real benefit. All we really know for sure is that you can keep your current bacteria happy by making sure they have enough food to eat. Is no one-size-fits-all probiotic that could even be added because the different ones do different things, and different people would need different things. There’s also the issue that many of them come from milk, so that would not be vegan, and the soil based ones are controversial because not only are they expensive, but they are not naturally found in the body. They can live a lot longer, but they are risky in my opinion. It would be pointless to just throw some soil based ones in there that aren’t found in the body without really knowing what they do.

The microbiome science seems to be just taking off. The researchers are still finding the connections of certain probiotics/organisms to certain issues.

My goal is to make sure I am supplying the right fuel to the organisms in my gut. I do like the occasional alcoholic beverage, wheat product, etc… but if we are nurturing our gut then these occasional intake isn’t going to cause issue. (of course, if you are already having issue with them then they should be completely eliminated.)

I do think that there are some healthy inexpensive and enjoyable probiotic options which may help or, at a minimum, not cause damage. A small glass of kombucha (not a lot since it can have a lot of sugar) or some kimchi is always good. I’m looking for new foods which I can add to this category.

This is the first time I’m hearing about soil based probiotics. I feel like it may have some connection to fecal microbiota since soil is full of fertilizer.