How can we improve Huel? (both product and service)

Any chance of being able to track our order from our account page?

I’m already signed up for FedEx updates and I think my first order (which was placed yesterday) is on its way to be delivered tomorrow. But I’m only guessing because unless my wife ordered something recently I can’t think of it being anything else.

1 Like

Make it not taste bad would be the obvious! Also more protein.

I think the operative thing here is “complete nutrition”. I am a long distance backpacker, outdoorsman, retired soldier, and for me, my lifelong search has been for a “one-stop-shop” for food, the “human version of dog food”…just give me one thing I can pack a big bag of and live on for weeks or months at a time.
Y’all have done it for the first time. Sure “The Ultimate Life” here in the US did it with “The Ultimate Meal” in the late 1990s but that had to be mixed with stuff to get calories and they are now largely out of business, probably due to cost and taste (was largely spirulina based). Soylent is making a good go at the attempt but they seem a little synthetic to me. Ka’vacha is making a similar go but way too expensive.
Stay where you are, and expand the product line into bars, just solid food in general. Shoot, make a “dog food/trail mix” type pellet thing for munching on. Experiment. You have the formula in hand, the medium of consumption is the only variable here.

Others have said, market to the military. Yes this. Big market there. Also, market to the outdoors community. Huge market there. All backpackers, hunters, fishermen, all want a quick and easy fully nutritional alternative to the typical granola bars and Clif bars.

What I would hate to see would be this company go the way of “The Ulitmate Meal”, mentioned above. I was a loyal customer for 20 years and you can’t get the stuff anymore. They aren’t totally out of business but you can’t simply go to a store and buy it, nor order it over the internet anymore.

Diversify, diversify, diversify. The key is you have nailed down a formula for a nutritionally complete meal. You can take that formula and do nearly anything with it.

A good secret…hardly any military soldiers eat military issue field rations if they can avoid it, but they are conscious of nutrition and don’t want to live on Ramen Noodles. I spent 2 years in Afghanistan (way out in the remote bits on the Pakistan border) living basically on Power Bars, and ate MREs only when in truly dire circumstances and really starving. Soldiers will happily buy their own field rations if the price is right. You make it easy to eat, and keep it cheap, you have a market with every military force across the globe.

8 Likes

@BDC very well said sir.

I like your thinking :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

@DAP good idea, i’ve passed this onto the tech team to scope out.

1 Like

@Jhat sorry to hear that. I will get the tech team to look into it for you.

I do apologise.

Julian,

Thank you for your reply, but there’s no need! Christian handled the situation in a very professional and timely manner. I have to say, I’m very impressed with Huel as a product, and as a company. I’ve never experienced this level of service before, and it makes me proud to be a part of the Huel community. I will continue to promote Huel as often as possible.

Thank you,

Josh

5 Likes

@Julian-Huel A huel baseball cap :grin: I wear hats all the time and it would be cool to rep Huel. Plus, I’m a big fan of neutral colors like the black and white Huel uses so it would be a welcome addition to my collection.

The Huel product itself is something I’m still testing and discovering. I’ll be back with more input in a couple of weeks once I’ve tested all of the products. Positive results so far with the exception of the Berry powder flavor but that’s just personal preference.

2 Likes

I am curious what the turn-time is on getting back to people that submit a request for help or make a comment through support@huel.com? If anything could be improved, it’s the amount of time it takes to respond to an email. If that can be reduced to at least 12-24 hours, I would appreciate it. Also, shipping your product out faster. My order processed on Monday, May 6, 2019, and it’s Tuesday and it hasn’t shipped yet. I run out of Huel Powder this Thursday. So, that’s my 2-cents on improvement. 1. Respond faster. 2. Ship faster. Thanks, Al

1 Like

@MNSk8r thank you for letting me know. We have investigated and our head of customer experience will post an update here shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

1 Like

Hey Al. We’ve been chatting via email–glad that everything is resolved. Looks like your tracking email wasn’t sent, but I’ve provided the link in our exchange. We are totally working on response times by bringing in some more members to the team so that should drastically improve soon! Our shipping times are generally 3-5 business days from the charge date unless there is an unforeseen circumstance.

2 Likes

First, not exactly an improvement idea but:

I know some people are not happy about the lower sodium and sugar. I wanted to first thank you for keeping them low. My family is on a heart-healthy diet because my dad has a lot of heart problems (born with and developed in his old age). Unlike most protein powders, Huel is the only one that he can eat on his diet.

In terms of improvement:
Most of my concerns are taste-related. Honestly, drinking plain Huel isn’t bad. But it’s also not great in my opinion. I’ve tried the vanilla, chocolate, and unsweetened/unflavored. All are okay, but ultimately I end up making my huel into fruit & veggie smoothies because it’s not something I enjoy drinking plain. It reminds me of eating plain oatmeal. I like others ideas of adding more flavor packs options. I would additionally offer that you should create more flavor additions/boosters that aren’t sweet so that we can mix them in vanilla or chocolate without it being sickeningly sweet.

edit: after using the unsweetened/unflavored for a while, the vanilla and chocolate seem WAY too sweet to me now.

1 Like

I’m new here.

Quick thoughts.

Offer incentives to purchase beyond subscription discounts for RTD.

Create a loyalty program that ties the consumer to your brand.

Don’t add caffeine to a product born of health and conscription.

2 Likes

@boles thank you for suggestions.

We do offer a free Tee (worth $25) with your first order of RTD as well as a subscription discount and free delivery.

1 Like

Right. I have the T-Shirt – though I would’ve preferred to have $25 off my first order instead.

Subscription discount pricing always concerns me. I don’t like getting roped into a commitment that I have to remember to track if I want to cancel, or change the delivery date; so I order manually, when I’m ready, every month, and yet I get punished for it economically, even if I order a lot.

Loyalty to a brand should concern a company more than the value of a subscription.

Loyalty is important to us that is why we reward subscription customers, who are much more loyal in general.

The subscription shouldn’t concern you, you can cancel very easily or change the delivery time.

Your rewards structure needs to me more expansive, and kinder, and inspired, than just a subscription discount. Soylent offers all sorts of great deals that inspire the impulse purchase, as well as helping buyers like me, who live in a big city, and who need to manage, and plan, the delivery of 16 boxes a month, based on travel, availability and theft prevention.

16 boxes of RTD Soylent, for me and my wife, is $624 a month without a discount.

16 boxes of RTD Heul, for me and my wife, would be $864 a month without a discount.

Is RTD Huel worth the $240 a month difference in price?

There needs to be a smoother path for Huel to make for people who want to transfer from one meal replacement plan to Huel – and the price of that exchange should not be punishable by design, purpose, and fortune.

My wife and I can’t both make the move to Huel, but we might be able to afford one of us to take the dive – and, lucky for me, you don’t have a chocolate RTD, or I’d be fighting her for more than your $25 T-Shirt. :smile:

@boles I make the different in price $56

• Huel is $680 for 16 boxes of Vanilla RTD (without subscription discount) (if you buy them in batches of 6 boxes at a time, pro rate price)
  • Soylent is $624 for 16 boxes of Vanilla RTD (without subscription discount)

Yes Huel is worth the extra $56 (Higher quality ingredients, and as you say better tasting, plus a free $25 tee)

1 Like

That 6 box price is good, but unclear on the website that it is available. I would go for the extra cost, but I’m not sure others would because the Soylent and Huel RTDs are so close in comfort and content.

Previously clicking around on your site before I placed my first order, I was more irritated by the 6 box limit than engaged by it.

I would have to place 3 orders of 6 boxes each to get my monthly supply? Why not let me order as many boxes as I like at one time since I’m not subscribing? It takes time on the consumer side to set up these purchases.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking to explore more purchasing options in the future so we appreciate this note!

Just remember the Soylent and Huel are nowhere near in contents. Soylent uses soy which is an unfavorable protein source.