Hot and Savory Love and New Flavor Ideas?

Got my Hot and Savory Tomato and Thai curry yesterday - loving it! It is pretty similiar to my own cooking (lots of whole grains, legumes and region specific spices) so I started day dreaming about possible future flavor profiles. :slight_smile: Would love to see an Indian curry spiced dish, something more Latin spiced (the tomato works really well, so that with cumin, cilantro, chiles, corn and some sort of legume), Middle Eastern/North African inspired and I would love something Sub Saharan African. I lived in Zambia for awhile and loved a dish called Ifisashi that was ground nut based with greens. Ground nuts (peanuts), brown rice/quinoa, lentils, dried greens, garlic, ginger and even a little tomato for acidity would be delicious in a Hot and Savory put-up, I think.

Anyway, love this new product since I’ve been taking a break from cooking (those two years in Peace Corps Zambia involved way too much cooking every day over charcoal) and being able to be healthy while keeping easy track of my nutrition. Sriracha or habanero hot sauce has been delicious in both and I threw some mozzarella in the Tomato Herb. :slight_smile: Love my cheese.

Anyone else coming up with Hot and Savory ideas or just me being a crazy culinary chemist again? :smiley:

5 Likes

Wow, all this sounds amazing! I have not touched add mine other tonadd some hot sauce to my tomato soup. I would love to see you post your recipes, if you come up with anything.

1 Like

Mine arrives on Monday, and I am salivating! Will try straight up, then add Sriracha & nutritional yeast as usual. I also plan on maybe wilting spinach on top, perhaps some shredded tofu, and I really like seaweed.

1 Like

Please tell us more about this nutritional yeast you mention. Have I been living under a rock? From wha I found it would seem so.

Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is sold commercially as a food product. It is sold in the form of yellow flakes, granules or powder and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. It is popular with vegans and vegetarians and may be used as an ingredient in recipes or as a condiment. It is a significant source of some B-complex vitamins and contains trace amounts of several other vitamins and minerals. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with vitamin B₁₂. Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty or cheesy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of cheese; for example, in mashed and fried potatoes, in scrambled tofu, or as a topping for popcorn. In Australia, it is sometimes sold as “savoury yeast flakes.” In New Zealand, it has long been known as Brufax.

How do you like to use it? If you don’t mind sharing.

Bragg Premium Nutritional Yeast Seasoning.
Goes onto any hot meal and adds texture and flavour.

I use their acv so obviously I trust Bragg, but I had no idea they have dry spice combos, so I guess I’ll have to WH Ed

In vegan circles, it’s referred to as “nooch”. It is a staple for me. It’s great on stir fry’s, and soups and steamed vegetables. I love it on popcorn with a little olive oil - it has a slight cheesy flavor. It is used as a base for vegan cheeses, but I have not tried it making that. Lots of B vitamins and I love the flavor! I put it on most foods that I eat.

Edit: Just read the quote in your post, and they already mention what I’m saying. So (+1) from me…

2 Likes

I also love hot and savory and would love some additional flavors, I think 6 flavors would be the magic number where I could (with 2 H&S meals a day) not have to eat the same meal within 24 hours of the last time.

I did some brainstorming and here are some flavors that I think would be great to see:

• Potato/corn/mushroom chowder
  • Bi-bim-bap
  • Mole
  • Japanese curry
  • Indian curry

Country Scramble (breakfast h&s)
Summer BBQ
Lemongrass and mushrooms
Shrimp etoufee
Kimchi
Jalapeno poppers

I would sell my kids for ^^ these ^^ flavors