Made it through my first month and, ultimately, I’ve decided to try to stick with Huel for a while. Here are my thoughts:
I bough enough Huel to last a month by only eating Huel. I got 2 bags of the Black powder (Peanut Butter - I will miss it - and Cookies and Cream), 5 bags of the Hot and Savory (1 Pasta Bolognese, 2 Mac and Cheeze, 1 Chicken and Mushroom, and 1 Cajun Pasta), and 3 boxes of the Black Protein bars (all peanut butter). Fortunately, I’ve had no issues with gas/bloating - definitely take your time to consume the food and shakes - enjoy them! My daily meals would be as follows:
- Breakfast: none
- Lunch (at around 1:30pm - 2:00pm): a Black Powder shake
- Snack: peanut butter Black protein bar
- Dinner: Hot & Savory meal
Unfortunately, there was a two-week delay with my order (I wanted to have a few boxes of the variety packs for the Black protein bars, but had to settle for peanut butter), the customer service email support was pretty good about communication and problem-solving.
- Both the Black Powder flavors were really good (Cookies and Cream and Peanut Butter)
- If you substitute milk for water when mixing the cookies and cream, it’s insanely good although this changes the nutrients by adding the milk, so be aware of that.
- If a flavor is not to your liking, it’s easy to quickly add some spices (salt, garlic, pepper, etc.) to greatly improve it.
- The shaker and hot pot are excellent tools and work extremely well (they were free with my first order)
- You can’t really rely on others opinions about the taste, just have to try them yourself (at least, that was the case for me).
- The peanut butter Black protein bars taste like coffee with almost no sweetness, it’s pretty bad (unless you like coffee, I guess).
- Stock issues, which I’m to believe Huel is actively working to improve so that’s more of an inconvenience than a con, I guess.
- The directions on the Hot & Savory meals do not always give the best results (i.e. crunchy mac and cheese because some of the noodles are still either tough/chewy or just straight uncooked).
Ultimately, there’s a lot of good advice for flavor enhancements on these forums and the same goes for cooking instruction alterations. I do think the peanut butter flavor of the Black protein bars need a lot of work, but otherwise, it’s all pretty good so far from what I have tried (which is not everything Huel offers).
My specific opinions about the flavors:
- I wasn’t a fan of the Chicken and Mushroom hot and savory pasta, so I added salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then stirred and microwaved according to it’s instructions (in this case the instructions are pretty accurate) and it was pretty good after that.
- The pasta bolognese has a slightly bitter after taste, still experimenting with spices to make it bearable.
- Mac & Cheeze and the Cajun Pasta are absolutely amazing, very good! (I’m excited to try the Mexican Chili).
Even if there are flavors that you don’t like, it’s easy to change up your subscription on the website and switch out flavors. You can even set how often your food/drinks are shipped and how often the subscription is renewed.
And that’s what I got, my second shipment arrived today with no delays fortunately and I’m hopeful for the future with Huel. Hope my initial review helped!