Composition of a scoop

I have a question.

If I take a bag and in the bag I put 1000 red balls, 100 green balls and 10 yellow balls if I then put in a scoop and take out 111 balls the 111 MIGHT be:

100 red
10 green
1 yellow

BUT they might not!

They COULD be:

110 red
1 yellow

The next scoop COULD be:

70 red
25 green
6 yellow

OK now look at a Huel bag and all the vitamins etc etc

Each scoop is likely to be very different. Therefore how can one say ‘two scoops gives 35% of…and 25% of…’ etc

You can’t.

You can only say ‘on average’

But clearly as each scoop is very different then each daily intake could be very different.

In which case you could easily have way too much vitamin D one day and another day and another day but hardly any the fourth day etc etc

So, how can Huel be a ‘balanced meal’?

It is only balanced over the duration of the pack which if, for example, you’re using Huel for 2 meals a day could easily be an imbalanced diet.

True?

You are overthinking this

The distribution of ingredients after they’re all a powder is thoroughly mixed by Huel.

Under some pure math probability you could say the mixture isn’t perfectly homogeneous… but the variation in any two scoops is likely to be immeasurable.

Imagine buying a box of Lucky Charms then determining the probability of a spoon with no marshmallows, only one marshmallow, 2 different marshmallows, 2 of the same marshmallows, etc - then asking General Mills why your actual experience with your cereal differs from the mathematical model.

tl;dr: contents of different particle sizes may settle in aggregations based on weight, size, friction, etc… but Huel powder is unlikely to mechanically separate to any measurable degree

3 Likes

Good question Chris!

I agree with Mike on this. You could apply your logic to any food product, for example a turkey sub you can’t guarantee that the wheat used to make the flour for the bread has the same nutrients each time. That each turkey is exactly the same or even that different parts of the same turkey are the same.

Humans aren’t machines and it’s best to treat the recommended daily values as guidelines rather than absolute figures.

2 Likes

Hi

Yes you could make the point about turkey IF and only IF the vitamins and nutrients were listed in precise and extensive detail on the packet and if by shaking the final product the constituent parts of a portion is the turkey changed.
Imagine. You and I share a HUEL bag. You take a scoop and I take a scoop. The vitamin allocations may be very different, it doesn’t matter that much BUT why therefore state the contents in such detail?

Thank you

Chris

The macronutrients are listed on the packet though and they are subject to the same issues above. Additionally tolerance limits (such as 20% above and below) are permitted by law for stated label values.

I don’t think the vitamin and mineral allocations will be very different as in the early days of Huel we did nutrient testing on the top and bottom of a shaken bag and the variation was minimal.

We provide the vitamin and mineral amounts because it shows that Huel is nutritionally complete, absolute figures are provided over ranges because that is what is required by law. I guess I would flip it back to you and ask why does a balanced meal have to be defined to the level of detail you suggest?

5 Likes