Bags recyclable

I don’t even use the bags. I think they may cause powder clouds, and you always have to go through the trouble of sealing it tight without air.

I went to Target and found an air tight container for sugar/flour. Surprisingly it is the exact size needed for 1 bag of Huel. I also store it under my cabinets where there is no sunlight.

5 Likes

@Sothan_Huel Where are we with this?

I have recommended Huel to friends and family and one argument is for sustainability. I would say everyone I know will switch if they can find a similar provider selling their product a non plastic bag…

It is a big hole in the business and not sustainable long term. What is Huel doing to address this?

Agree, lets change behaviour.

Similar thread from the UK forum. I agree with you that I think there is room or improvement. I think Huel is currently “happy” with their bags, because they create minimal waste and they are sturdy. This is, they know that the bags won’t give any issues and that will be able to contain the product in the best conditions.

While “they are working on better bags”, I pretty much doubt this is their top priority. Most likely, every X time they revisit the issue.

That said the bags have evolved (in a different way) and improved over the years.

2 Likes

I’m not happy with this, non recyclable should not be an option. If the implication would be that it would break if we drop it, so what? It’s recycle we could still buy another one and be more careful next time!
With such attitude eggs would have to be wrapped in pvc boxes… If you need two layers, make it possible to separate them easily since as of now its quite impossible, or just add a paper label with the warning about sunlight and the compromise you had to make.
I get that you only care about money but I won’t be buying another package until there is an option to buy a recyclable one.

Consider that being ecological and low on carbon is an advert on its own as it shows pure intentions.

Big fan of the three Rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle).

Anyone have any ideas for creative or practical ways to reuse their Huel bags?

Maybe Huel should run a contest and see how creative we are.

1 Like

Here’s a little perspective on the amount of waste you’d create using Huel exclusively for a lifetime. Click on the link to view the photo.

1 Like

Hi Dan, we are committed on the importance of our sustainable impact in the world and very much care for it. Yes, we are not at the 100% recyclable step yet but we are progressing towards it. I would encourage to give our sustainable report a read to learn more about the ways we have been helping and our continued commitment on helping even more at Huel's First Sustainable Nutrition Report 🌎.

We agree that it would be ideal for our packaging to be 100% recyclable, there is no doubt about it, and even though we are not there yet, we are working towards it.

Just know that by you consuming Huel you are already saving a good amount of waste & helping us become more sustainable. :earth_africa:

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea to me!

I have found a handy usage for my empty Huel bags. I do a lot of mechanical work for charitable purposes and the bags are excellent for the storage and disposal of things that contain harmful chemicals. I cannot guarantee that they would work for everything so use your best judgement if you feel like doing the same thing :slight_smile:

The best example is oil filters from vehicle engines, it is hazardous to throw those away with your normal trash. I put them in empty Huel bags and take them to an appropriate recycling center for proper disposal.

3 Likes

I like the bags the way they are.

I know this thread had been dead for 3 years but I just found it haha. Just saying idk why shelf life is such a big deal, there’s no way it’s gonna take me 6 months to finish a pouch. I realize it’s more economical to buy a bunch of bags at once, but if it means buying less at once so it can be in recyclable/compostable packaging then I’d be fine with it. I’d just do the math and buy however much I think I can finish before it expires. Any thoughts? This is the ONLY thing keeping me from trying Huel.

The bags and their closure system is crap. I dump them into previously used protein containers so I don’t have to deal with them

The shelf life is not only about the shelf life in the customer’s cupboard, but also the shelf life in supply chain. By having a long shelf life it means we are less vulnerable to ordering too much (and it sitting in our warehouse going off and being wasted) or ordering too little due to short shelf life and it us going out of stock.

Plastic is only one part of the story when it comes to the impact Huel has. When we measured the carbon impact of every part of the Huel Powder we found that our packaging were responsible for only 2.8% of the emissions in Huel and of that 2.8% only 36% is the plastic, non-recyclable pouch.

In some cases, plastic is the right choice for us.

Would Huel consider working with Terracycle then, to make the bags recyclable? I understand that plastic waste might not have a very large carbon footprint, but the waste itself is still a huge problem. Carbon isn’t the only issue. This would be a great product for me, but if it means adding even more plastic waste to the immeasurable amount we have then I’d rather just deal with food that’s more perishable with a shorter supply chain. This brand is more sustainable than most, but it’s still not completely sustainable.

There is another similar thread where a Huel team member showed an image of a pallet of bags that represented an entire lifetime of usage. That really drove home for me the fact that, even though the bags themselves are not recyclable per se, the nest waste created is so favorable as to make them the best choice overall. 100% recyclable is not a realistic goal.

As for the containers themselves, the difficulty closing them is easily remedied by cleaning out the zip-lock track with the tine of a fork. Or dump it into another container.

1 Like

It’s something we’ve considered previously, and in order to be able to recycle packaging using programs like Terracycle, Huel would need to pay a substantial fee in order to join their program. While we don’t mind doing this in principle - the problem is that Terracycle is basically only offering a ‘plaster’ for the fact that many items are not collected for recycling. So instead we have decided to invest this money in developing packaging for our products that can be widely recycled via existing recycling collections (by 2025).

This takes a bit longer but will mean that all our packaging can be easily recycled by everyone without having to set up a bespoke system, and along the way, we will also reduce carbon emissions associated with our packaging (win-win). Although, it’s worth mentioning that only 2.8% of our product’s carbon footprint comes from packaging… And that is all the packaging (the pouch, boxes, and bulk transport packaging such as pallets). That doesn’t mean we won’t stop working on it to make it better though.

Was it this picture? This shows the amount of Huel pouches and shipping packaging for 96 years of Huel:

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ZriY5hCdf/

Yes, that’s it! I must have seen in on IG before I shelved Meta. To me that image makes me feel way better than a relationship with some questionable recycling standard.

I just read that Huel Essential bags are recyclable. That’s great news. I can’t imagine that innovation won’t spread to the other varieties soon…

1 Like

I like that the bags don’t fall apart and also that vermin can’t get into them, as I did have a vermin infestation for a short period due to no fault of my own, but at least the Huel bags were left alone.