No cholesterol?

Huel shows no cholesterol in its nutritional profile. Isn’t cholesterol necessary? I’ve been using huel 100% for over 2 months, should I be concerned?

Please listen to anyone more qualified than I am. I am not a dietitian but i do know that we do not need to consume cholesterol. Our liver, if healthy, when breaking down fats creates all the cholesterol our cell membranes need. Huel has a very healthy balance of fats, so no need to worry there.

Ok, that seems to make sense. I’m just wondering if there are any long term negative effects of forcing your body to produce all of its own cholesterol. (My speculation here, would love to hear more from someone more qualified) Humans are omnivores so we’ve evolved on the premise of having cholesterol in our diet.

I don’t think cholesterol is an “essential fat”. I think the liver can make any cholesterol that is needed for our body’s function. The essential fats, the ones our body cannot make, are ones like alpha-linolenic acid. Huel should contain all the essential ones.

Besides, the fact that you’re still alive to make this post means you’re probably good in regards to cholesterol. Trust me. You’d know if your body ran out of cholesterol. You’d run out of all those hormones made by cholesterol, including hydrocortisone. I know, a bit dark, but the point is still valid.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. I don’t think the fact that I’m alive means anything though. I could’ve been on a severely nutrient depleted diet and still be kicking after 2 months, but years down the road I would feel the side effects. I’m not convinced a vegan diet provides enough cholesterol to maximize the effects of what cholesterol is supposed to do e.g. testosterone production for a 28 yo male. Typically 80% of cholesterol is produced by the body and 20% from diet, and I’m not sure the body can fully compensate, and it’s not worth risking IMO. I still plan to do about 75% huel but will incorporate some fish/meat to be safe.

Hey @Jrk90,

You’re right in saying that we require cholesterol, used to build cells etc, but too much of the bad kind can be bad news. Cholesterol can be categorised into LDL (low density lipoproteins) (VLDL also falls into this category) and HDL (high density lipoproteins). Too much VLDL and LDL, or not enough HDL can increase the risk that cholesterol will build up inside artery walls.

The liver produces all the cholesterol we need, although food is also a source of cholesterol (mainly from animal products).

2 Likes