Maltodextrin - substitutes please!

I’m not trying to cause any problems, but I’m going to do this. People have the right to know what they’re putting in their bodies…don’t they?

Top 6 Dangers of Maltodextrin and 5 Healthier Substitutes

I’m not liking what I’m reading here guys. Surely you’re aware of these dangers? @Dan_Huel ??

This is one of the reasons I only buy unflavored & unsweetened.

I get where you’re coming from Wilma so let me put your mind at ease. Dr. Axe isn’t a good source of information a lot is scaremongering or at odds to the actual data.

The website is right that maltodextrin has no nutritional value beyond calories though. The good news is that Huel only contains around 1% maltodextrin which acts as a carrier of some of the vitamins and minerals. It is not a major source of carbs like in other, cheaper products. So it’s not an issue.

3 Likes

Thank you Dan, I do appreciate the reply and I was actually expecting to hear that about Dr Axe. Admittedly, I didn’t look deeper into his credibility but if it’s true (and I will check it out) I’m not surprised. Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz and all the other Hollywood imposters are believed so blindly it’s quite scary.

We live within a very uninformed and ignorant zeitgeist where critical thinking and due diligence seem to be nearly extinct. I could go on a very long rant but this isn’t the place to do that. I’ve probably even made your ban-button finger itch a bit. So let’s not go there…here.

Thanks again, Dan.

Addendum:
Ok, my initial research into the credibility of Dr. Axe revealed a lot.

Here’s just one of many I read:
Josh Axe is a Doctor of Chiropractic, Doctor of Natural Medicine, Clinical Nutritionist, and obviously by the remarks of the paid trolls I recognize on this page, determined to be a huge loss of income threat to Big Pharma owned medicine/MD. According to the World Health Organization, 273,000 Americans died from Iatrogenesis, MD caused death, in 2015. Chiropractor and Natural Medicine caused deaths - 0. People who can afford to purchase the best care choose doctors who practice natural medicine. If I get hit by train I want a good surgeon. For health and recovery from disease, Natural Medicine/Evidence Based Functional Medicine is the first choice. That means the drug makers/pushers are losing bucks, big bucks. Every year the major pharmaceutical companies are convicted in federal court of charges like, incompetence, misleading the public, public endangerment, medical larceny and pay billions in fines; and then allowed to continue their signature bad behavior until caught again.

I also found 1 page where he is labeled a quack. But the majority of what I found was positive and supportive.

You seem to be the prominent mod here and I’m guessing you’ve been asked this before, likely many times, but I’m gonna ask anyway, if you don’t mind.

Do you use Huel? To what degree? What do you like/dislike about it? Do you have a favorite flavor or combination of flavors/products? What, if any, background and/or education in health/nutrition do you have?

Ok, I got a little carried away.

If you want to you can. The forum is all about discussion!

It depends on what you type and on your search history because search engines will put what they think you want to see at the top. All I’ll say is there is a lot more than 1 page detailing some of his misguided comments and the excerpt you’re linked to is pretty dangerous essentially telling people to stop using proven medical treatments.

Yes, normally for breakfast during the week.

It’s convenient, plant-based, high protein and fibre plus those sometimes difficult to get vitamins and minerals. Sometimes I want to change things up which is fine, I just eat something else.

Berry v3.0 Powder and peanut butter bars.

I have a degree in Food Science and Nutrition and I’m a Registered Associate Nutritionist (ANutr). I’m based in the UK so the equivalent in the US is CDN.

We also have @Charlotte_Huel on the team who is based in the US and is a registered dietitian and Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist (CDN).

2 Likes