Launching Huel Black Edition

It is a lower-carb Huel but it’s not for people on Keto. Well, maybe for one serving! Most Keto diets recommend 20 - 35 net carbs to stay in ketosis and this will vary based on your own personal carb limit or “carb edge.”

Just 2 Servings of Huel Black is going to put you at 48 grams of Carbs so it’s not for the “keto crew”

I’m gonna say yes, it technically can be a complete food. Since there are no “essential” carbohydrates that have to be consumed in the diet, so long as Huel Black contains all the essential amino acids and fats, as well as all essentially micronutrients, it technically could be a complete food.

Huel 3.0 - oats = Huel Black, basically.

However, I will still pass on Black since I prefer my diet to have a plentiful amount of oats and other grains.

1 Like

Many of us aww eagerly awaiting the GL data

glycemic index (GI) not GL :wink:

I don’t understand which is for me.

How do I know that I would be better served by Huel black?

It’s about flexibility and preference that’s all Mike. You can check out this article and if you have any specific questions just let me know.

I’ve been eating almost exclusively Huel gluten free for over a month now, love it, no problems… but to up the protein I’ve been adding whey protein.

I made the switch to Huel Black a few days ago and now I understand the farts people talk about

I sent two emails to Huel asking how to switch over to black with no response. Ended up just canceling my current V3.0 and basically signing up for a new subscription with the black.

As I hit the gym several times a week for weights and run several times a week, I’m looking forward to the increased protein. With the less carbs, I can easily add more if needed…easier to add carbs than protein I think.

I use the product for breakfast and lunch and sometimes dinner. Looking forward to seeing how well the black works for me for the majority of my meals like I have been with the “old” stuff.

That’s how you do it, as far as I can tell. Each product is a different subscription: V3, Black, and Bars.

I’m so sorry you haven’t had a response Shawn.

@Desert_Way is right each product is a different subscription so you have to set them up separately. You can cancel and set up a new one like you have done or add new products to your current subscription (minimum 2 pouches) then delete the v3.0 products.

glycemic load??
either way, here we are

Can anyone comment on how Huel Black compares to regular 3.0 in terms of satiety?

I decided to go ahead and order the huel black to try it, since when I looked it up and compared 4 grams of sugar to the sugar in other foods like apples, I realized it’s pretty insignificant. Still, I worry that the Huel black might be too sweet if it has so much stevia in it that it’s close to the max regulatory levels?

Yeap you got it, it’s only a teaspoon.

Sweetness is subjective so I can’t say for what you’re going to taste. Personally, I find the vanilla Black Edition to be less sweet and a more subtle flavor than v3.0. We’re within regulatory levels don’t worry!

Yes, I am in agreement with you. I’m no fan of low carb diets. Of course they make sense if you are dealing with certain health problems. But I always get a laugh out of seeing people load up their plates with chops and ribs and pass on rice/bread/potatoes, somehow imagining that they will be more healthy as a result.

1 Like

This stuff reminds me of dried peas crushed to death and considered tasty by Huel. I have to literally choke this sh.t down with a choco bar which leaves a lot to be desired. I would like someone from Huel to contact me directly to tell me how we can rectify this mess. The 3.0 is usable but this sh.t is not.

1 Like

I am new to Huel. I chose Black to help improve my nutrition and help manage type 2 diabetes. It has been great so far. The taste is much better than I expected base on experience with other products. I love that Huel continues to work to improve the products with better natural ingredients and maintain the excellent nutritional values.

1 Like

My understanding is that oats are super healthy. I’m going to stick with the original too. I was also thinking about going on a starch based diet for my one non-Huel meal a day. How are you liking it? I’ve been looking for new starch based recipes for my new Instant Pot. Are you following McDougall’s Starch Solution diet?

1 Like

More or less. I have been using more fruit than he suggests. But in Florida we have access to a lot of quality local and imported fruits, and the wife grew up in Jamaica and was used to eating a lot of fruit. So over the last year I have evolved my starch based diet to become something like this:

Approximately 50% calories from a starch-based food. 30% from whole fruit (almost no fruit juice). 10% non-starchy vegetables. 10% nuts and seeds.

I also got a new instapot last year but haven’t used it much. I did one recipe using black beans and if turned out great.

But a lot of the cooked food in my house is done by adapting the cooking style the wife learned passed down from her mom and simply removing the meat and increase the starch content. A lot of stewed peas (beans), curried chickpeas with potatoes and vegetables, callaloo with breadfruit, boiled green banana, boniato, ackee, boiled dumplings, yellow and white yam (name), potato salad, rice and peas (beans). Stuff like that. We don’t use a formal recipe, but rather just use the basic technique and art passed down to her and some trial and error.

I have found success with using lentils and quinoa. They are relatively easy to cook and there are a lot of options to season. They also make good filling inside of whole wheat soft taco wraps. Spread some vegetarian refried beans from a can on the wrap, fill with seasoned quinoa+lentils, add sunflower seeds, diced tomatoes, vegan shredded cheese optional, maybe add Frank’s hot sauce, maybe salsa, maybe top with hummus. A lot of options.

2 Likes

Interesting, @Deron

Which category do you include pulses in? the ‘starch-based’?

Is it just the past year you’ve been doing this? How are you feeling?