I'm a cyclist would Huel black be right for me?

I’m a cyclist and I was wondering if I should try Huel black or if I should stick to regular Huel (been using Huel for over a year). I do 20-30 miles a day, 4-6 days a week, around a moderate pace (18-20mph) and usually burn around 700cal for those rides. I have Huel for two meals a day. The carbs of Huel white are good for energy but the extra proteins of black would do well for recovery. I’m on the fence as I don’t want to order two bags of black and find out it’s not right for me and have lower energy or something. Can anyone comment?

Hey @MisterNobody, so awesome to hear you’re a cyclist! I would recommend you stick with Huel v3.0 powder as a result of the additional carbs and it has adequate amounts of protein to assist with recovery, as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

Though, if you’re interested in giving Huel Black Edition a try just to see, you can always add one bag to your order of Huel v3.0 powder at check out through the “Shop Samples” section of your cart!

1 Like

Is there really so much difference?

I would never ask if there is an appreciable difference between a turkey and cheese on white bread vs a ham and cheese on white bread. Of course ham vs turkey are different nutrition profiles, but it wouldn’t be a deciding factor in my lunch preference.

fwiw, I’m not being sarcastic - I really don’t know how the differences in Huel profiles stack up

That is a great question and I can definitely see what you are saying there!

Yes, there is a difference between the two in terms of their macronutrient splits and some ingredients. For example, Huel Black Edition does not contain oats and Huel v3.0 powder does.

Huel v3.0 powder has a macronutrient split of 37:30:30:3 and Huel Black Edition has a macronutrient split of 17:40:40:3 (net carbs, protein, fat, and fiber, respectively). As you can see, Huel Black Edition has a higher amount of protein and fat and less carbs when compared to Huel v3.0 powder.

For someone who is a cyclist, you do want to be sure you are consuming adequate amounts of carbs as well as protein and fat so Huel v3.0 powder would be more suitable.

Hope this is helpful, let me know! :slight_smile:

You will have to intake more Huel to cover the calorie difference created by the activity. I play pickleball and on the days that I do play I found out that I need about 3 to 4 extra scoops that day to cover energy needs PLUS electrolytes as relatively low in sodium.

As far as the protein is concerned, your body can only absorb so much and a day on (regular)Huel last time I checked is around 200 grams of protein give or take. That is MORE than enough. I wish they had a Black version that was about the same as the white, but without artificial sweeteners. Everything about regular Huel is fine with me except the artificial sweeteners.

1 Like

I think that the regular Huel powder has more than enough protein for your needs. I’m a distance runner, and I stick to the regular Huel powder personally. Honestly it’s even a bit lower in carbs than what I’d prefer, so I sometimes blend it with fruit to boost the carbs even more. I don’t think Huel black is ideal for endurance athletes. If you want to boost the protein in regular Huel though, you could always add in some extra protein powder!

Or powered peanut butter!

Only, and i can’t stress this enough, ONLY if you’re a unicyclist

And then…maybe

1 Like