Huel and Vegetable oils

Huel contains sunflower, flaxseed, and canola oils (varies by product).

There’s general advice floating around to avoid vegetable and seed oils.
Why exactly is this general advice given?

Is there something in the formulation of Huel that makes this not an issue in the particular?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @nchang! :slight_smile:

Great question! We have a page that actually discusses this in more detail and I’ve linked it here. As a very brief summary, it has to do with the amounts consumed and how they’re being processed/prepared.

In addition, we have pages on sunflower and canola oil as well as flaxseed and why they’re in Huel. If you’re interested in taking a look, I’ve linked them below:

I hope this was helpful and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns after giving the above a read!

Is there really advice going around saying people should avoid getting their fats from seeds and beans? For a long time most nutritionists have been saying those are the best sources for the fats/oils that the body needs - much better than cow milk and meats from the factory farming industry. Oil from fish is usually considered to be healthy Am I missing something?

Research has been popping up linking seed oils with obesity and even alzheimer’s. The video below talks in-depth about seed oils, their manufacturing process, and how easily they oxidate (even inside your body after you’ve consumed it).

I’d suggest to the Huel team to do research into a non-vegan option that would replace seed oils with animal fat. More and more research is showing that the link between saturated fats and heart disease is not based.

1 Like

Hey @flavflav, thanks so much for these additional points of discussion and welcome to the US Huel forum!

A majority of the video discusses the issue of oxidation as well as omega-6 consumption when it comes to plant-based oils. Huel is vegan and will contain plant-based sources of essential nutrients, including omega-6s, to be nutritionally complete too.

This is all discussed in the pages I linked in the previous post, but I wanted to briefly highlight a couple points below:

• When it comes to Huel, there have been steps taken to decrease risk of oxidation or stop it from occurring. These include, for example, using cold-pressed sunflower oil and the packaging of the products.

• Omega-6s are essential to include in appropriate, not excessive, amounts relative to omega-3s. Huel contains both omega-3s, mainly from flaxseed, and omega-6s, mainly from sunflower oil powder and/or canola oil (in RTD).

• You can find the amounts of omega-3s and omega-6s on the nutrition pages for each of our products under the “Full Nutritional Profile” section, if you are interested.

• Some plant-based oils also provide other nutrients like vitamins E and K.

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate Huel taking into consideration the aspects involving polyunsaturated fats in the making of the product.

Best wishes,
Flav

1 Like

why don’t use olive oil? it’s more expensive but it probably doesn’t add that much