How long have you gone on primarily or only Huel?

I want to know because I have such a curiosity as to whether I could hack it or not. The idea is attractive to see if I notice any health benefits from it.

So how long have you gone? What have you noticed? Was it difficult to adjust, both mentally and physically? Any favorite recipes, or was it just Huel and water? :cup_with_straw: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think I lasted about 2 weeks. And this was using a combination of Huel powder and H&S. Unfortunately, the H&S only lasted about a week.

The original goal was to see if I could make it for a month going purely on a Huel diet. I started the challenge with the idea of keeping to 3 meals a day, so I was planning on drinking two large (1.5x servings) shakers of the powder for breakfast and lunch, and then dinner was to be two, usually different versions of H&S. Unfortunately, I started running into problems after about 5 days.

First problem: My body started rejecting the H&S after 5 days. And what I mean by this isn’t that I was throwing it up, but that it became extremely hard to force myself to swallow it. The taste remained fine, and still appetizing, but my body just kinda said “No”.

Second problem: This started after I switched to powder only. I started feeling very full after only 4 servings spread through the day, and had a lot of difficulty getting to 5 for the full 2000 daily calorie intake recommendation. This may have been a problem with bloating, as I started getting quite gassy when I went to this point - even though I had been using Huel powder for quite a while before I attempted this.

Third problem: I started craving something more solid to eat, anything I was around with crunch made it very difficult to keep on this diet. This is actually what caused me to quit the challenge early, as the cravings became strong enough that I just had to get something different to eat.

Fourth problem: This was mentioned in the second problem, but I started to get very gassy again. When I first started Huel, I had a week of very bad gas and bloating, then another week where it was still bad but had gotten better, and then another 2 weeks before it decreased to near normal levels. This pushed the gas back to where I had been shortly after starting Huel, and I was quite uncomfortable.

As for my mental health, I didn’t notice anything particularly different. I might have been a little bit shorter with others as I was in discomfort the majority of the challenge, but I don’t think it was a big issue. One thing I did notice is that my activity level decreased, and I’ll chalk this up to the gas issue. I was in a level of uncomfortableness that exercising wasn’t something I was interested in and when I did exercise, there was excess gas (if I had been going to a gym I’d have been embarrassed, but since I wasn’t it was just annoying).

As for how I took my Huel, it was just Huel and water.

1 Like

i guess i went about 4 months solely on huel black label for breakfast and lunch, and hot and savory for dinner. i had a bit of stomach issues in the morning on the black label so i cut back on the level of huel in the morning(about 60 grams mixed with berries, a dollop of yogurt and a bit of almond milk)…i think i might have been drinking too much too fast…and now i have no issues at all.

2 Likes

I’ve gone a month on Huel 3.0 and H&S before. It was fine, felt great physically. I ended up stopping because I missed different textures (and sushi, just can’t quit sushi for the life of me). I still use 3.0 as a daily meal replacement and protein powder post-workouts. I don’t use H&S anymore, just can’t get used to the flavors.

Holler if you have any questions.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Huel Black for about a year and a half for breakfast and lunch almost every day and 4-5 dinners a week. It’s been great for my health especially my cholesterol. I’m saving a ton of money and so I go out for dinner Friday and saturdays and can enjoy the food more because it’s special.

2 Likes

Hi, I use Huel 7 days a week, for breakfast, 2 scoops with 16oz of water only.
I do add things like cacao powder, psyllium husks, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon from time to time depending on the taste/nutrition I am going for that day.
I have been using Huel this way for 8 months now. I love it. It works really well for me and is filling and lasts about 4 hours to control hunger.
I definitely improved my blood work numbers like cholesterol and blood glucose levels SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 8 months, all in normal ranges now.
Also, I have lost 118lbs in about 16 months, Huel being a part of that for the past 8 months.
I wish you all the best. :grinning:

3 Likes

About three months. It’s a small timeframe but bloodwork significantly improved on all levels along with rapid weight loss. This could be done without Huel. Though it was much easier since you just make say 5-6 shakes with 2 scoops a day without thinking about it. Depending on the reason you’re doing it, it could create a poor relationship with food.

Welcome back, its been a while!