How Anti-Inflammatory??

Hi there…

I am seeking a diet that, by in large, is “anti-inflammatory”… And in looking at things, it appears Huel fits into that…

But can someone at Huel address this with me?

Thanks!

Mike

That term can mean a lot of different things. There’s a lot of different types of inflammation and different parts of the body that can be inflamed.

When it comes to atherosclerosis, inflammation is thought to play a central role. Insulin resistance, oxidized lipoproteins, small LDL particles, elevated Triglycerides are likely a part of this very complicated process and play a role in inflammation on the endothelial lining of arteries.

Rather than get too complicated, I’ll just say that from my readings it appears that diets high in sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, saturated fat, and trans fat are the cause of atherosclerosis. Diets low in fiber are also associated with atherosclerosis. Huel has none of these negative components and a good amount of fiber. It’s devoid of the dairy and meat products that are the source of much of the diet leading to atherosclerosis. Oats, flaxseed, peas, sunflowers. That’s what Huel is made from. These foods aren’t particularly inflammatory that I have read.

Exercise, fiber, whole grains, oats, peas, lentils, fruits, beans, seeds and nuts, tubers, green vegetables, squashes, rice. These are the hallmarks of a healthy diet which lowers inflammation of the coronary arteries.

Soda, cake, ice cream, cookies,Cheese, red meat, processed meats, chicken, eggs, saturated fat, little fiber, inactivity. These are the ingredients of insulin resistance and atherosclerosis. That’s the formula I used to follow which made me fat and diabetic. My former life.

Focus on a plant based diet, maximizing whole plant foods when possible. That’s the prescription for health.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your detailed reply… I am indeed more concerned/focused with inflammation as it relates to atherosclerosis - having had a heart attack and 4 stents placed over the past several years now… So I definitely have personal reasons for my question…

But I am also a dentist who is beginning to practice more and more from a whole health dentistry / biologic dentistry / holistic dentistry perspective… And preventing / lowering inflammation is an important part of our approach… And that, of course, includes diet… And I am glad I can knowingly point my patients to Huel as a good option with their diet from an “anti-inflammatory” perspective…

Again, my thanks!

Michael Knight, DDS
Park City, UT

1 Like

Hey @docbuldog. Sorry to hear that you’ve been having a tough time of late.

Remember that a certain degree of anti-inflammatory properties is required to get the body back to health after injury/illness. However, you’re correct in inferring that diets that are chronically high in inflammatory properties can lead to certain diseases.

Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) occurs when fatty deposits, cholesterol, gets oxidised & turns sticky which can build up on the artery walls as plaque, making them narrower and can become blocked. Diets high in saturated fat (although low levels are essential for health) and LDL cholesterol (a ‘bad’ cholesterol) have been linked to an increased CVD risk.

The healthy eating guidelines suggest around 30-31% of total energy intake should be from fats. From this around 10% should be from saturated fats.

One of the problems in the West, is the balance of ‘essential’ fatty acids (meaning we have to get them from our diets for good health). We eat far too much omega-6 fatty acids (a pro-inflammatory nutrient), and too little omega-3 (an anti-inflammatory nutrient). We should be trying to meet an omega-6:omega-3 ratio of 2:1. In Huel, we have a perfect balance of essential fatty acids at 1:1.

Read more about the types of fats here.

Also, as a general rule of thumb the following should be included in the diet to decrease CVD risk - wholegrains, if you’re a meat eater opt for lean meats, minimize trans fats (largely from highly processed meals & take-away type sources), and not too much saturated fat (although a small % of saturated fat are essential for good health), alcohol in moderation and of course plenty of fruit & veg for antioxidant activity.

You may also be interested to know that a small trial was conducted at Huel HQ recently, whereby participants consumed Huel for every meal for 5-weeks & we found that the blood cholesterol profile of each participant improved. The link to the write up is here. We’re not saying that you have to have Huel for 100% of your diet - but rather suggesting there could be benefits from including Huel Powder as a convenient meal alternative to less favourable food choices.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

1 Like

I have been using Huel almost every day at work for my dinner for the last year. (Not doing 100% Huel, but a significant amount of my overall intake is from Huel.) My annual blood work showed the best cholesterol and hemoglobin A1c profile I’ve ever measured. I saw a significant improvement in HDL (it went up) and both my HDL and Triglycerides decreased. My latest HbA1c is 4.7. A far cry from what it was a decade ago when I was diabetic.

Now, how much of that is from Huel verses my exercise verses my intermittent fasting? Or maybe each component plays an integrated role. But the net effect is blood work which shows I have lowered my risk for coronary artery disease, stroke, and am considered non-diabetic.

I still can’t see my abs, though. :frowning: I refuse to go keto just to see them. I assume they’re there, since I can sit up in the morning.

2 Likes

Great to hear this @Deron! Most likely due to all components combined :slight_smile:

1 Like