Health/Nutrition Question (Refined Carbs eaten WITH HUEL?)

We all know refined carbs (white rice, white bread, sugar) are bad for you because they have no/low fiber and have a high glycemic index.

However, since Huel has lots of fiber, does eating refined carbs with huel LOWER the glycemic index of refined carbs THAN eating refined carbs alone?

^If the answer is yes, does that mean it’s safer to eat refined carbs since you’ve effectively lowered the GI index? If not, why?

EDIT: I’m on a 100% Huel diet (breakfast, lunch and dinner), which helps me hit my total macros for fats and protiens but NOT my carbs, and it also hits my total daily fiber-intake (any more would create too much bloating). For those reasons, I supplement huel with 4 slices of white bread (3 times a day) to fulfill my total macro and fiber requirments for the day.

1 Like

I’m not a nutrition expert, but my understanding is that if you eat a high GI food with other low GI foods, it balances the overall GI. The example I have seen is that a baked potato is a high GI food, for whatever reason, but if you add a bunch of fixings (healthy or not) you have effectively lowered the GI of the meal. So I suppose if you are eating the bread around the same time time as the Huel, you would have a lower GI than if you ate the bread separately.

But, on a personal note, four pieces of white bread!!, really?? That sounds so dull (to me). Why not throw in a piece of fruit or something?

Nutrition experts: please correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

I ate white rice a lot this last year. A lot a lot. I also ate a lot of white potatoes, another high glycemic index food. I’m 5 ’ 10" and have maintained my weight between 142 and 145 pounds consistently for the last year. But, I don’t consider white rice a refined carbohydrates. It’s a very minimally processed rice which retains the vast majority of the naturally grown rice.

I used to weight 277 pounds at my Max many years ago. I rarely ate rice or potatoes. Instead, opting for lots of sugar sweetened deserts and colas, along with animal products and typical American Diet. So yeah I guess I did have a lot more of what we’d define as refined carbohydrates.

I know I didn’t answer the question but I just wanted to interject and say that eating white rice and white potatoes isn’t unhealthy or dangerous, at least from my own personal experience. I guess what I’ve found is that the glycemic index of a food isn’t as important as whether or not it’s minimally processed. I readily eat high glycemic index whole foods like rice, potatoes, and whole fruits including ones with high GI.

2 Likes

Refined carbs are generally seen as unhealthy because they aren’t filling so can lead to overeating and like you said are low in nutrients.

However, they’re not unsafe and there’s nothing wrong with eating them once in a while.

The glycemic index tells you how quickly a carbohydrate containing food is digested and absorbed. So, if you eat white bread with something that slows down digestion and absorption like fat you will lower the glycemic index. So yes Huel will probably lower the glycemic index but it doesn’t matter if you’re having the white bread on its own.

You can find out more about the glycemic index here.

2 Likes