152 calories a scoop/ 500 cals a cup?

I just put in my order and I was to make sure of something. The BMI calculator from Huel says I should be at 1800 cals to 1329 cals to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. I’m thinking on settling in 1500. Are the scoops 152 cals?? I’m thinking of adding pb powder and veggies but I don’t want to go over my 400 cals a drink with Huel and veggies or fruit combined (leaving room for a 300 Cal meal/snack). Just checking the cals per scoop.

Thanks
37 yo
240lbs
5 foot 4 inches
Goal weight 120 to 130 lbs in 1 to 1.5 years.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I’ve not personally weighed my Huel, but I believe that a cup of Huel (500 cal) is a little more than 3 full scoops (from the scoop they provide). It’s like 3 and a quarter leveled-off scoops, or 3 overflowing scoops. So yeah, each scoop is gonna be like 152 calories.

Let’s see:

• 1 cup blueberries is 85 calories (yeah, it’s surprisingly low)
  • 1 cup strawberries is like 45 calories.
  • 1 medium banana is 105 calories
  • 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce is like 35 to 40 calories.
  • PB powder is 45 calories for 2 tablespoons (wow, that’s low. I’m surpised)

So 2 scoops of huel and a full cup of these mixed berries will be roughly 350 - 375 calories. 2 scoops of Huel, half banana, half cup of berries will be roughly 380 to 400 calories. 2 scoops Huel + 2 tbsp PB powder + half cup berries is about 400 calories. 2 scoops of Huel, half banana, 2 tablespoons of applesauce, cinnamon is like 400 calories. 2 scoops of Huel + 2 tablepoons of PB powder + half banana or 2 tablespoons of applesauce is 400 calories (add cinnamon to this would also probably taste great).

What vegetables are you gonna add? Kale is, what, 30 calories per cup?

If you stay away from starchy vegetables, you can add pretty generous amounts and it won’t add much calories at all. In fact, I’d say you might be able to ingore the calorie input from any non-starchy vegetables. Their very low glycemic index and added fiber would almost guarantee they are not gonna slow your weight loss. So just worry about the Huel, PB powder, and fruit calories, IMO. Just my humble opinion. And these are just estimates. Keep in mind, you probably only need to ballpark these calories. Berries, PB, Huel, apples, and Bananas have moderate glycemic indexes and you should be okay will going over a little on your calorie limits.

2 basic tips:

1. use a blender. Makes it taste better and more homogenous.
  2. chill it and let it sit or add ice to the blender to chill. improves the texture and taste for most. It thickens over time (although a few people actually prefer it fresh made and thinner).
3 Likes

Wow!! Thank you for such a thourough post. I ordered my subscription yesterday so I’m hoping to get started but Friday or Monday. I usually put in kale or spinach with banana and or berries. I’m actually going shopping today to get items in bulk so I can freeze individual portions so I don’t have to think lol.

You reply has been so helpful

1 Like

Excellent.

Yeah, in my opinion, you can discount the calories from the kale or spinach. As long as you’re not adding more than a cup (which would be a lot for a shake anyway), then the calorie contribution from them is negligible. And as I said, their glycemic index is so low it won’t have any significant impact on blood sugar.

In fact, if you chill you Huel, the amount of extra calories needed for the body to warm it and digest it will negate the small calories from kale or spinach.

Personally, I like the frozen berries better than fresh. They taste identical and they last waaaay longer in my freezer.

Banana and PB or PB powder goes very well with Huel’s oat component. And the banana makes the overall formulation more creamy, so you don’t need to make it with milk, just water.