New Article - How Huel and the Huel Ingredients are Produced

You’ve just quoted how we do that above. By doing our own testing of the raw ingredients and during production and during final release and over shelf-life and comparing to our standards.

1 Like

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply.

Ok but you previously said that you don’t test every batch in your reply to TreeBark so I’m just trying to figure out when do you test?

In the given example for pesticides, where would this be picked up in the Huel testing process?

From my understanding, I don’t see why this is necessary and most companies do not implement this for every single batch of final product.

1 Like

Yes apologies for the confusion. While every batch of final product might not be tested for every single test every single time different tests and sensory analysis can provide insight into out of spec products. What also needs to be accounted for is the testing of individual ingredients as mentioned above in the rest of my reply you quoted.

There are also third parties that will inspect and monitor our suppliers to ensure they’re following correct procedures too.

1 Like

Its a shame we can’t rely on getting supplements, that we specifically take to supplement our bodies, from our local/1st world countries.
All fresh water in China is 85% polluted, either with sewage and/or chemicals. Spineless government officials who have made the world dependant on a communist country with hardly any human rights and no animal rights, so individuals can gain from it, while on the long run, it affecting our health and economy.

1 Like

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. Huel’s policy on the sourcing of ingredients, the countries that produce these and the lack of transparency in this regard has let me to the conclusion that I cannot consume their products and cannot support their business model. I had to dig to find out that some of these ingredients are produced in China, which suggests that the company knows that this is not something to boast about. It is a great shame since so many other aspects of the company are positive.

Hi @nunderwood - thanks for your comments. I feel it’s important to point out that you’re replying in a thread that’s nearly 5 years old and the last replies were 3 years ago.

It is really important to us that we only work with suppliers and manufacturing partners that share the same values and goals as we do. So we have done our homework. This includes annual risk assessments for all the countries we source ingredients from and self-assessment questionnaires for supplies on their approach to the protection of human rights and the environment within their own organisation and supply chain. Huel is also a member of the Supplier Ethical Data Exchange (Sedex).

We want all our suppliers to meet an internationally recognised sustainability standard and help us to continuously reduce our carbon footprint. And as we get to know our ingredient suppliers better, we hope to work in partnership to increase productivity and resource efficiency whilst also protecting their livelihoods, working conditions and the environment.

I realise that there is a degree of anti-China rhetoric in the media. However, if we’ve selected to purchase an ingredient from a Chinese supplier, this is because they perform better than other options in either quality, ethical or environmental standards.

4 Likes