Still hungry, help!

Hi Drew, I know I am a day late and a dollar short on my post, but I am 46 years old; 474 lbs and 5’-11" tall and I have been using Huel for just over a week. I was at first very hungry after drinking a three scoop Huel with 16 oz of water, but my body got used to drinking a meal, and now I have to remember to either eat or drink a Huel meal. I was not a big fan of fast food restaurants, but I love Chinese food and fried chicken.
Today my regiment is a package of Oats Overnight and unsweetened Almond milk for breakfast usually around 1:00 pm, I try to get a Huel in for lunch around 4-5 pm and dinner at 7:30 pm. I sometimes forgo the dinner with just the Huel at 5 pm. I have been able to IF for 16+ hours a day now and hope to get to daily fasting.
It just takes time to get used to the change in how we get our nutrients. Do what works for you, and then your body will catch up.

2 Likes

I used to eat once a day, with coffee for breakfast.

Does that count as IF?

I gave it up because I was told it’s not good.

Now I have Huel for breakfast, about 3/4 cup of walnut/cashew/pecan/raisin nutmix for lunch if I’m hungry and whatever for dinner - at home we’re vegetarian, go out and I get whatever my body says would taste good. It’s surprising how much that measure has changed over years (and generally improved diet and awareness)

Oh yeah. That’s a daily 23-hr fast.

Yeah, IF can be done many different ways. 14hr each day. 16 hr each day. 18 or 20 hr each day fasting. Or, some people do a full 24 hr fast twice weekly and the other days they don’t fast. Some people do a 72 hr or 96 hr fast once per month and don’t fast the other days. Some people do an every other day “fast” where they only eat 500 calories on the “fasting” days.

One meal a day can be great if you can handle fitting all your food into one meal. Anyone who tells you this is “bad for you” is either ill informed or jelly. If you can properly function on OMAD, with no deleterious effects, then your insulin sensitivity is great and your body is very efficient. Most people are not adapted well enough to do this.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, DBert! :+1::+1:

1 Like

i always thought that fasting was a sure fire recipe for slowing down your metabolism as your body thinks is in starvation mode? One of the crazy diets i tried in the past was to fast for five weekdays then eat whatever you want on the weekends. I never gained so much weigt in my life after that!

If a person is overweight, having an excess of adiposity, and he temporarily lowers his insulin by fasting, therefore allowing fat to freely come out of adipose and be available for energy, he will not starve. He will be just fine until he reaches a point that his stored energy is getting low enough that his body feels he is in danger of becoming too lean. Then his hunger will return.

But during the fasting, if he is still fat and this stored fat is freely available for energy, his metabolism will be just fine. The cells can burn fat from stored fat or from eating a stick of butter. It makes no difference to these cells when the insulin levels are low and are therefore free to burn either fat or glucose for energy. High insulin levels force our cells to preferentially burn glucose and ignore fat. Once insulin levels are low enough, cells are free to then burn either fuel source.

Obviously a fast cannot go on indefinitely. At a point, the stored fat becomes depleted enough that the person need to eat again.

Check the case reports and individual testimonies of people on youtube and social media posts who have practiced some form of intermittent or extended fasting. Most of them do not report a low metabolism or feeling low on energy, once their brains are used to doing the intermittent fast. Yes, there is an adjustment period. But in general, “low metabolism” is not a complaint of people who do IF. It didn’t hurt me. I exercise in the fasted state these days.

First of all, if that is all you are eating, that is not enough calories for anyone. However, if you are actually still eating other things, then I would recommend to have a shaker of water after you have a shaker of Huel because when you do that, it expands in your stomach very fast. Well, if you are talking about the brand new scoops, it might be enough calories for some people, but I assume you were talking about the older scoops. Also, it might help to start at a higher calorie amount, and then slowly go down as you lose weight. Like pick a calorie amount that is like 75% of the calories you should be eating. Then, when you lose 5 pounds, recalculate using your new weight. If you don’t want to weigh yourself all the time, you could just re-calculate for every 10 pounds you lose or re-calculate each month.