Continued diarrhea, after two months

Do you have H. Pylori? I had some ‘side effects’ from Huel for longer than it seems I should. Months went by… then I had this sharp-ish pain… turned out to be an ulcer from H. Pylori. After the antibiotics my BMs have been better for the most part. Of course Huel is high in fiber, and liquidy, so soft (or somewhat loose) stool shouldn’t be unexpected, eh.

My experience at least.

I just looked it up. I haven’t had any pain, which might lead me to believe I have an ulcer. Plus, I only have diarrhea when I consume Huel.

I’ve read other posts in the forums about people having issues with sucralose, so I’m going to try switching to U/U, on my next order…

Thanks for the reply!

This whole topic has been about water, which is what OP specifically mentioned. I’m not going to insult anyone’s intelligence by hammering home the point that sugar sweetened beverages and alcohol are not the fluids you should be drinking regularly.

By definition misguided advice can’t be decent advice. All that suggesting drinking half your weight in oz of water from the off will do for most people is make them feel uncomfortable. There are no nutritional benefits to this. Drinkng around exercise is a different topic which i feel is where you are coming from.

These two papers may be of interest to you Chris: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/ and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315424/

Please keep us updated. Fingers crossed that resolves your issues!

1 Like

yeah, sure…but before i became a little more serious about my health and watching myself get older i didn’t really care too much about what i was putting into my body as long as i could still get out of bed and do what i needed to do every day. i was relating my experience to what the o.p. was talking about, and even mentioned how i had participated in this conversation with several other users in the forums.

i wasn’t using the term ‘misguided’ as a direct quote from a dictionary, i was implying that i had given advice that might not have been relevant to everyone at face value. but, like the beverages that i have enjoyed drinking prior to getting and staying healthy, it is a good idea to keep that fact in mind that anyone should drink more water on a regular basis RATHER THAN any of the more appealing alternatives out there.

i don’t know what else to say about that…here is some of the information that i have used to make my own decisions on:

Fifteen benefits of drinking water

• It lubricates the joints. …
  • It forms saliva and mucus. …
  • It boosts skin health and beauty. …
  • It cushions the brain, spinal cord, and other sensitive tissues. …
  • It regulates body temperature. …
  • It flushes body waste. …
  • It helps maintain blood pressure. …
  • The airways need it.
    More items…

Jul 16, 2018

15 benefits of drinking water and other water facts - Medical News Today

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com › articles

Got you!

Just be careful with sites like medical news today.

Yes water does all of those things but take the cushioning brain and spinal cord and helps to maintain blood pressure points. The water you drink will have little effect on them. If these basic functions fail so do you and you die. So drinking loads of water will make no difference.

No one in the Western world will need to worry about the points above as they only become an issue if you go without water for days.

2 Likes

Did you try the U/U yet?

I’m starting it today. I’ll post the results. :smile:

1 Like

Today is my second day on U/U and the diarrhea continues. I used honey in my shakes yesterday, so I made them plain today, to make sure it wasn’t the honey.

I’ll use to the rest of my U/U though, and see if anything changes.

I’ll probably try enzymes next.

Any other suggestions @Dan_Huel? You mentioned starting over with introducing Huel to my diet. Is that something I should try?

I’m sorry I’m running out of suggestions.

It is likely the high fibre content. Switching from a typical diet low in fibre to Huel can cause some issues and it varies from person-to-person.

The only suggestion you’ve made is cutting back on water, which I’ve done.

You did mention re-introducing Huel to my diet. Is that something you would suggest I try? (Starting with one shake per day, waiting a week, then two shakes, etc.)

It wasn’t clear whether that was a suggestion you made from misreading my post. When I started Huel, I went through that process. Would there be any benefit to doing it again?

I’ve also suggested enzymes.

I did misread your post when I suggested gradually introducing Huel into your diet as you mentioned you did that. Usually the gradual introduction is the key as it allows the body to adjust to the higher (but beneficial fibre content). This should only take 1-2 weeks, as you’re on week 8 it’s an odd one.

Yes. I am going to try the enzymes. Hopefully, they do the trick.

I’ll let you know.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

My bowel movements seem to have improved after nearly a week on U/U.

I’ll spare you the details, but I’m no longer having “explosive” diarrhea several times per day.

So, it seems as though the sucralose may have played some role in the situation.

I’m still going to try enzymes, and possibly a different probiotic, to see if things improve further.

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Sorry again for the trouble you’ve gone through. Glad you’re found a solution!

Sorry, I’m new to all of this; What is UU?

Unflavored/Unsweetened

1 Like

I think it has too much fiber for you maybe were the fiber ratio is wrong for you. You could try adding pumpkin to it. Just have one or two spoons of pumpkin.

I switched to U/U, and started taking digestive enzymes. Everything is good now.

I may try the flavors again, because I think it’s the digestive enzymes that did the trick.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience Paxton.

I’ve been having 2 huels a day (morning, noon) for 4 months now and also have daily explosive diarrhea, usually 2-3 times a day. I’ve also tried a bag of UU but it didn’t change anything.

After stopping with Huel for a few days the problems went away.

Eating Huel again instantly starts the diarrhea again at the end of the day.

Not sure if I should continue and how to solve it.

I started these digestive enzymes, after seeing them mentioned by @Deron.

The Huel no longer causes diarrhea, as long as I remember to take one before each shake.

It’s worth a try, if you want to stick with Huel.

2 Likes